because you're you

i'm the one for you so why do i feel like i go unnoticed?

hinata cracks under the pressure of being kageyama's rival.

hinata sprung up into the air, his eyes closed as always, as he swung his hand through the air, glad to feel the weight of the ball against his palm. he opened his eyes to watch as it satisfyingly slammed to the floor on the opponent's side of the court, but what he saw instead was the ball ricocheting against the hands in front of him - a triple block. how had he not seen that coming?

it was just like with aoba johsai, though these opponents were all faceless right now, and this time when hinata turned back to look at his teammates after they attempted to receive the ball, they were all facing him, glaring at him. hinata stared back, open-mouthed, unable to think up any excuses as to why they had lost, why hinata had made them lose. hinata was crushed - this dream really had gotten down the ache in his heart he had felt when he had lost, hinata thought vaguely.

but suddenly, hinata's teammates weren't glaring anymore. they didn't look angry at all, or devastated the way hinata was, or even frustrated. they simply stated that it didn't matter, that they could win any game in the future, and at first, hinata thought they were comforting him, but they were just comforting themselves. because then suddenly, the lights in the gym were closing, one by one, and the audience and opposing team had disappeared, and hinata's own teammates were getting further away, just before they all walked out the door.

hinata found he could move again, and darted out after them, and suddenly, he was running up a grassy hill, the same he'd run up many times in training camp in tokyo. but everyone was inhumanly fast, much faster than him, and he called out to them but no one would listen.

"we have to win!" daichi kept saying. "keep running and you'll win!"

but hinata was getting tired, and slower because of it; he couldn't keep up with them. he paused for a moment to catch his breath, and surprisingly, kageyama was the only one who slowed his pace just a bit. hinata caught sight of this and singled him out, chasing after just him.

"kageyama!" he called out desperately, grabbing hold of his arm. "what are we doing?"

"we're winning," kageyama answered bluntly, still staring straight ahead and running, as hinata jogged alongside him to keep up. "do you know how?"

hinata gazed at him, unable to answer the question. but then suddenly, kageyama looked at him, his expression scarier than ever because he didn't look angry.

"hinata," he said quietly. "you're slowing me down." with that, kageyama raised his arm, the one that hinata was still clutching, and roughly shrugged hinata off, causing him to fall back onto the grass. hinata had barely recovered and sat up by the time kageyama had started moving again, faster this time, as hinata called out for him, begging him to stay behind, begging him to wait for hinata, but deep down, hinata hated the fact that he was slowing kageyama down right now - maybe kageyama should just leave him there. that thought didn't stop hinata from frantically calling out his name, running after him as he became just a blur on the horizon, and the world descended into nothingness...

"hinata... hinata!" 

hinata's eyes fluttered open and he let out a deep breath as he saw his mother's face over his, looking down at him concernedly.

"it's time for school," she said gingerly, moving away to pull open his curtains. hinata sat up in his bed, groaning and rubbing at his eyes.

"i think you're too close to that boy for your own good," hinata's mother continued offhandedly.