painkiller

hinata must resort to unusual methods to make sure kageyama can participate in the inter-high tournament.

hinata could barely sit still on his bike as he made his way to school, eager to get there quickly, even though he was always earlier than everyone else. today was the day that his team was going to find out the official lineup for the inter high tournament, and hinata was going to know who he was going to be up against next week. he kept going through the different teams in his head, rating them from best to worst, unable to decide whether he wanted to start off easy or with a challenge, like aoba johsai. just the thought of playing against them sent hinata's heart soaring, though he knew it would make kageyama moodier than ever. maybe hinata would annoy him with it when they met at school.

but surprisingly, when hinata finally got there, kageyama wasn't running up behind him, trying to get to the club room first. hinata figured he was just late, and he felt strange as he walked at a leisurely pace towards the club room, though still a bit on edge - maybe kageyama was trying to catch him off guard so he could get ahead of him.

but no, that wasn't the case, and even though hinata waited outside the club room for fifteen minutes, kageyama was still nowhere to be found.

"early again, are you?" said asahi as he, sugawara, and daichi approached. "where's kageyama?"

hinata shrugged. "haven't seen him today."

"he can't be absent today, has he forgotten what we're supposed to be doing?" said daichi, frowning.

"i haven't," hinata said eagerly, hopping up and down. "has coach ukai found out the line up yet?"

"pipe down, hinata, we'll look at it all together, as a team," said sugawara with a soft laugh as hinata pouted. that meant they'd have to wait until after school.

well, it worked after all, for it gave kageyama more time to finally get to school. but even after class began, hinata didn't see the dark haired boy anywhere around, sitting next to him, or in the bathroom, or at the vending machine. he tried to recall kageyama telling him something about being absent today, but there was nothing. it seemed that kageyama truly wasn't coming today, something that hinata got a reminder he didn't need of in every class when the teacher did a roll call.

how could kageyama be absent today, missing out on one of their most important practices, and on the supplementary class he and hinata took together. hinata desperately didn't want to be alone in that.

he couldn't wait until after school to call kageyama; he had to see him now so as soon as hinata was let out for lunch break, he darted out the school gates, grabbed his bike and jumped on before riding down the hill towards the kageyama residence.

hinata had been to kageyama's house many times before, but he'd never actually been inside so it felt strange to be walking up the steps for the first time without being invited.

"hello..." said kageyama's mother, a very pretty woman who looked just like her son, when she opened the door, sounding a bit uneasy.

"hello, kageyama san!" hinata replied, bowing down. "my name is hinata shoyo, i am -"

"on tobio's volleyball team, i know," said mrs kageyama, a small smile settling onto her lips. "i've heard quite a bit about you."

"you have?" asked hinata, involuntarily blushing at the thought of kageyama talking about him to his mother.

she nodded. "and i suppose you're here to see why tobio hasn't come to school today."

"uh, yes," said hinata with a sheepish smile.