selfish

had a feeling that you never felt it.

kageyama is confused by hinata's hot and cold behavior, but more than that, he's angered by it.

[same universe that you wanna kiss me so bad took place in, but not exactly a part two]

the bus ride to tokyo started off as usual. the students on the karasuno volleyball team piled onto the bus, quieter than they'd ever been, only because they were so tired, since it was so early in the morning. they all chucked their bags into the backseat and took their regular seats, kageyama and hinata settling into the seat in the back by the window. almost as soon as coach ukai began driving, the bus rattling and shaking, hinata dozed off, and kageyama watched his head loll from side to side, front to back, waiting for it to finally drop down onto kageyama's shoulder. when it did, kageyama hid a smile and positioned themselves so that hinata fit perfectly in the crook of his neck and kageyama could lean his head against hinata's fluffy orange hair. he fell asleep instantly.

the first rays of morning sunshine coaxed each of the students out of their sleep - most of them springing apart after realizing they had been wrapped in each other's arms. this was a routine for them, so when yachi gave out a little shout of surprise after waking up and seeing she'd been resting her head on shimizu's lap, no one paid any mind.

kageyama and hinata, who were still quite drowsy, did not move from their positions, much to kageyama's happiness - though he had to physically restrain himself from putting his arm around hinata right then. that would be a little too forward, even if hinata already knew how kageyama felt about him.

after a while, the team had regained their energy, and were hopping up and down in their seats, loud as usual - this was around the time tsukishima pulled his headphones over his head again, still wearing yamaguchi's neck pillow. hinata had long since lifted his head off kageyama's shoulder, and was now sitting with yachi, watching some downloaded episodes of naruto on her laptop, with everyone else huddled around them. kageyama momentarily wondered how they were still watching that show, but then remembered how many episodes it had and got his answer.

"you think naruto and sasuke are in love with each other?" noya was saying incredulously as he leaned over the seat.

"they did kiss twice," tanaka reminded him.

"yeah, but... it's weird, they remind me of..." ennoshita nodded his head in the direction of hinata and then kageyama.

"they remind you of shoyo and kageyama?" said noya out loud, causing the rest of them to face palm themselves. kageyama sunk into his seat, trying not to be seen but also trying to see hinata's reaction.

"we were avoiding saying it out loud, dipshit," muttered tanaka.

noya let out a gleeful shout of laughter. "wait, that means - that yacchan also thinks shoyo and kageyama -" he didn't get to finish his sentence as tanaka pushed him off the seat.

hinata's head snapped up, as if he'd just realized something. "yachi - you think me and kageyama should get together?"

kageyama felt mortified, wanting to hide away from the curious looks of the others, but he still wanted to know what hinata had to say about this.

yachi was blushing as she said, "not exactly... i think you're just cute together, that's it."

"cute together?" hinata repeated with a little laugh. "but we're... i mean... we're just friends... that'd be so weird..."

if kageyama had felt terrible before, he simply wished he could die right here in this bus seat now. the fact that hinata could say these things, knowing full well how kageyama felt about him... it certainly meant that hinata did not feel the same way, no matter what he said, or didn't say. the thought twisted kageyama's stomach into knots, making him feel ill.