| Chapter two |

I could tell the bruises were visible. 

As I examine my lower back on my large vanity mirror, I scowl in disgust. How was I supposed to go to school tommorow and change in the locker room with these hideous scars?

I lower my sweater and stare at myself. My mind was a whirlpool of negative thoughts, wishing I could just evaporate into thin air right at this exact moment.

I survey the glass that's scattered around my bedroom carpet before taking another glance at my cut arms. It had gone too far this time and it always resulted in me getting injured. You're truly pathetic, Rose Jenkins. 

"Open this damn door before I break it down!" My mother's voice blasts through my ears and I can't help but shiver. I stare at the chipped door debating whether I should open it and let the nightmare in or don't and face the consequences later while she violently bangs on it.

The door, barely holding itself together looked like it would come crashing down at any moment.  So, being the empty-headed fool I am, I rush towards my window and pry it open.

I peer down the two-story building and inaudibly gasp. I've always been scared of heights and this was no exception. if I wanted to escape I would have to jump and pray that I wouldn't break my neck in the process and possibly die.

I could already imagine the news the next morning as the news reporter stands in front of the bright yellow caution tape spilling the exact details of what happened on that fateful night. Sixteen year-old girl takes a daring jump out the window of her two-story house while trying to escape her nightmarish mother who allegedly planned to rip out her vocal-cords that night.

I shake that crazy thought out my head and decide to take the risk, if it means finally escaping this toxic household. I take a deep breath and prepare myself for the dangers that await for me once I jump.

I finally leap as I feel the air being taken out of my lungs, but it only lasts for a second before I land on the bed of grass with a loud thump. 

My eyes slowly flutter open before I sit up from where I'm awkwardly positioned on the ground. Well, at least I'm alive. 

It was so dark outside I could hardly even see a thing; the only source of light being the moon that shone brightly amongst the stars that surrounded it. I cautiously stood up and made a run for it, not sparing a glance towards the building I once called home.

***