Chapter18

Derrick's POV

I headed to my sixth period class recalling the conversation I had with Rose earlier. I was actually surprised when she came and sat next to me. I feel like we're starting to become friends, not that I have a problem with it. It's just...I wish we weren't so awkward around each other. Maybe next time I'll try to lighten up the mood.

Of course my sixth period class had to be gym, and I remembered the extra laps we had to run and how Rose reacted to it. I didn't have a problem with running extra laps since I was actually thinking of joining track. 

I went into the boy's locker rooms and got changed into my gym clothes. When I went into the gym, I saw Rose sitting on the wooden bleachers, resting her chin on her hand. I decided to go sit next to her since the coach hadn't arrived yet and I was bored as hell. 

"Hey" I said, she moved a strand of hair behind her ear and turned around. "Hey" she bluntly said, I couldn't exactly tell how she was feeling but I could tell something was wrong. "What happened?" I asked, frowning when she just shrugged her shoulders. "Blythe" she mumbled, looking down staring at the palms of her hands. "What did she do this time?" I asked, she shrugged and looked me in the eyes with a frown on her face.

 'It...doesn't matter" She mumbled, returning her stare to the palm of her hands. She didn't want to talk about, fine, I won't push her. 

"Alright everyone! Off the bleachers!" Coach yelled, waving his hands around while blowing his whistle. Did he think we were dogs or something?

I hopped off the bleachers waiting for whatever stupid exercise the coach was gonna make us do. He ordered us to do a few pushes and squats before making us run ten laps. I could see already see Rose getting tired and stopping a few times to catch her breath. 

I let out a deep breath as we finally finished our ten laps. "Alright! Now time for five more laps!" Coach yelled making me annoyed. Great, Just great. I quickly finished the five laps as other students did too. I saw Rose still running, struggling to stand on her own two feet as she slowly started getting slower.  "Freak! Can't even run five laps!" I heard Blythe yell as her friends laughed. I glared at her trying to fight the urge to punch her.

 I could see Rose getting frustrated as Coach and all the students waited for her to finish. "Mind...your...own....business....you...snake!" I heard Rose say in between breaths. What pissed me off even more is that the coach didn't even say anything to Blythe, he just stood there.

Rose suddenly fell to the ground making almost everyone let out a gasp while some laughed.  I was about to go towards her but she quickly stood up and walked towards Blythe.

  Shit, this is not gonna be good.