Chapter 27 : Paralysis and Planning

Third POV

Sakura stood silently in the arena, her face slightly covered by an intricate dark pink and red fan. Ino walked up towards her, eager to get some alone time with her friend. Ever since Naruto and his group came to town, things had become chaotic. The council members had been dismissed, there was a greater enforcement of the laws, and Sakura's parents had been banished from the village after visiting that strange Sensei. The Harunos never revealed why they had been banished, and Sakura had lived in the home of that strange blue haired man ever since. Sasuke has also moved in, leaving the Uchiha compound sealed. Ino looked over her friend, her position much different than before. She stood gracefully at the other end, her head held high and face hidden by an ornate fan. It was a beautiful fan, with a dark red base that faded into pink as it reached the edges. A long pink ribbon fluttered off of the bejeweled handle, and wrapped around her arm.

"Sakura and Ino Yamanaka, do you accept this fight?"

"I do."

"Yes."

"Begin!" Ino ducked out of the way as a razor sharp red blade swung past her face. She looked up and Sakura disappeared from her line of sight. Ino pulled out a kunai, holding it defensively in order to block potential incoming knives. She scanned the battleground, but Sakura was nowhere to be seen. Ino kept her stance, and suddenly turned to the side to block another blade. She quickly threw her own kunai in the direction, focusing on the direction of the blade.

"Sakura!" Ino growled, trying to find the girl. The noise of the spectators was the only thing Ino could hear, and there was no visual of her friend anywhere, which was starting to get increasingly annoying. Ino scowled, and tried her best to sense Sakura's presence. It was nearby, but there was something blocking her way. Three blades flew out this time, and Ino deflected two and dodged the last one. As she turned to dodge properly, a foot swung up and smashed into her face. Ino flung back, but kept standing. She reached out to grab the foot, but Sakura pulled away quickly. Sakura's gaze was cold as she watched Ino react, planning her own moves in time. Ino glanced at Sakura's weapon, which was now sporting blue blades against the red and pink background. There had to be a reason for the colors, so what was Sakura planning?

"Sakura, you've improved." Sakura held her position, waiting for Ino to move. The blonde simply circled Sakura, holding blades in her hand as she moved. Without a moment's hesitation, Ino threw three kunai, then a shuriken aimed at Sakura's arms. Sakura grinned slightly, flicking her fan open and deflecting the blades and then catching the shuriken in a sweeping motion.

"Twenty seconds before reacting. Typical Ino. Why don't you start taking this seriously old friend?" Sakura used Ino's shock to rush forward and take a stab with her fan. Ino shook her head and dodged quickly, using the back of her hand the push the poisoned blades away from her as Sakura came closer. She used the distance to try and punch Sakura's stomach, but Sakura dropped down and swept her legs. Ino used the shift to catch Sakura's hands and pull her down as well. The two filled and jumped up, spinning around to face each other once again.

"What is up with you Sakura? How could you change so much?"

"Changed? Me? No sweetie, I didn't change. I've always been like this. You just couldn't see that." Sakura threw another three blades, and Ino dodged once more, deflecting two out of the three. However Sakura yanked the handle of the fan back and the third blade came spinning back and sliced Ino's cheek. Ino winced in pain, and soon felt her limbs freezing up. Sakura held the blue blade gently, smirking as she flicked Ino's blood off of it.

"What...Is....This?"

"Paralysis agent. Luckily you got hit with the blue one, red would have been much more painful." A cold sensation ran through Ino. Her blood felt unnaturally cold, and she could hear a faint crackling noise in her ears. Sakura stepped back a bit, flicking the fan slowly.