Chapter 24: Exams Start

Sakura POV

"What's going on in there Mito?" "Hush I'm trying to focus!" "I'm hungry can we eat already?" "Shut up Sasuke." I sighed, "Why can't we go in yet?" Naruto shrugged, "Well, guessing from the shouting in there, I wouldn't want to get mixed into that scenario. Besides, we would just be interrupting." Mito shook her head, "This is getting us nowhere. The best way to sneak is to have a man on the inside. So.." She turned around, "Who's gonna go in?"

Sasuke held his hands up, "Nope, they'll know it's me right away. The hokage and his wife are in there and they can sense chakra easily." "Then Mito and I can't go in either...that only leaves." The three of them turned to me, a devilish look in their eyes. "So just because they haven't had much exposure to my chakra I'm the one who has to go into the screaming room." I felt my anger bubbling as they nodded. "Come on Sakura, you can do it. I'll help you flash in there without them noticing." I frowned, "If this fails, I swear to Kami I will make you regret it." I could feel Mito and Sasuke tense up slightly. Perfect.

Naruto positioned me in front of the door, "Alright so here's how you're gonna do this. Close your eyes and-" Suddenly I couldn't hear him anymore. As I opened my eyes, the smell of lavender and cheap perfume filled my nose. "I have the right to be concerned about a child who's been brought to the brink of death at the hands of the people who are supposed to love them unconditionally! The people who are supposed to kiss their boo-boos, the ones who are supposed to hug them when they're scared and sleep next to them when they have a nightmare! The ones who are supposed to support their goals and dreams, the ones who are supposed to be their best friends! You two don't deserve to be parents! You never have!" Nitsu? I tried to move, but was trapped between something that felt like a bookcase and the wall. "How dare you? We are her parents! We will always be! You shouldn't be butting into business that isn't yours! So what if we rough her up a bit? She's a disappointment! A failure!" I could feel my heart sting as my parents spoke. Their harsh words reminding me of the constant stream of complaints I faced everyday. But first how do I get out of here? I pushed against the bookcase, adjusting myself so that my back was against the wall and my legs were against the bookshelf. "You are wrong. She is a child who is destined for great things. And she will not be in such a terrible home anymore."

I held my breath, what does he mean? My mind went through the various possibilities...I lost focus, not noticing the bookcase slowly tipping forward. "Wait, Nitsu are you serious?" I could hear a rustling of papers, what was going on? "Yes, I am completely sure." There was a pause, knowing Nitsu it was probably for dramatic effect.

"I am adopting Sakura Haruno."

"WHAT!" Oh no! The bookcase!

Third POV

The large bookcase fell to the ground with a crash, revealing the pinkette hidden behind. Kushina got up, "Sakura! Are you ok?" Sakura's parents looked at their daughter with disdain, "You..." Mebuki stalked over to Sakura, hand clenched in a tight fist, "This is your fault! You weakling!" Sakura cowered as her mother raised her fist, bracing herself for the familiar blow. But it never came. Sakura unfurled herself from her protective position, to see Mebuki's wrist in Nitsu's grasp. "If you touch that girl one more time, I will personally take you to the shinigami." Mebuki lowered her hand, yanking it out of Nitsu's grasp. "Hello Flamingo-chan, I see you made it in time. Now why don't you come and take a seat over here by me?" He grabbed Sakura's arm and gently helped her up. Sakura shied away from parents as Nitsu led her next to his chair. "Now that everyone is here, let's get to work." Nitsu beamed, gesturing to the chairs. Mebuki sat down, "I'm not signing any papers. She's my kid and I can do whatever I want with her." Kizashi nodded, scowling at the terrified Sakura. Nitsu placed his hand on her shoulder, "Sakura is her own person. Besides you two can't say anything about this anymore. You two have confessed to child abuse, now the government or lemonhead over there is gonna help out this poor girl. I suggest you start signing, I really do prefer blue over red." He swiftly pulled out a kunai and spun it around his finger. The two Harunos gulped, reaching shakily for a pen.