twenty two; the explosion - literally & figuratively

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

i'm captivated by you baby, 
like a fireworks show
sparks fly; taylor swift

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

January 1st, 1974 - 

The year 1974 began on a Tuesday. Tuesdays were dull and dreary, the beginning of the slump of the week. They were not bright and full of life. They were in shades of grey not vibrant hues. And as Aria stared up at the midnight sky being lit up by bright sparks and loud booms with hazel eyes sparkling ever so slightly, she wondered if it was a premonition of the year coming. Nevertheless, as she smiled into the hug her brother tackled with, she was determined it would be the best year ever. 

"Happy New Years Ri," James screamed, excitedly blowing into his noisemaker, neglecting the fact that he was still hugging his sister. 

Aria winced slightly and ruffled James's hair, "Happy New Years J."

"Here's to the best year ever!" he grinned. 

"No," Aria smiled, shaking her head softly. "Here's to us. We don't need to have the best year ever, we just need each other."

"Here's to us," James echoed, a small smile on his face.

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

January 15th, 1974 -

Aria came to the conclusion that her musings on New Year's were right, Tuesdays were cursed, the previous one being the full moon, and this one being the day Lily Evans hated her guts. 

She wasn't sure what had warranted the redhead storming up to her with an angry sniff and a huffed, "You're a cruel person Aria Euphemia Potter."

But when she heard what her brother and Sirius had done, her stomach sank as she knew exactly why Lily was mad. Though it didn't warrant her being mad at Aria, she was truly a casualty, caught in the crossfire. So as she stood in front of James and Sirius, the former nearing tears, the latter indifferent, she pushed all thoughts of Lily Evans away though it stung how much the girl's words hurt. 

James's lip wobbled, his face pale as he stared at his sister with wide eyes, "I promise Ri it wasn't supposed to happen. We just meant to prank Avery to-"

"Retaliate for knocking me off my broom," Aria cut him off, softening her eyes and tone at her brothers statement. "I know it was just meant to be a prank James, but it resulted in six Slytherins being sent to the hospital wing covered in burns."

"We didn't know, I swear. I swear Ari, if I had known it was undiluted I'd never have done it," he continued to ramble, and Aria knew he was sorry as he continued his apologies. Perhaps not for pranking the Slytherins but for severely injuring them and disappointing Aria, and for the moment that was enough. Aria wasn't their mother, it was her job to chide James for playing pranks, Aria saw no harm in it. So brushing a gentle kiss against her brother's hair, she ruffled it slightly and sent him up the stairs to the dorm to collect himself.