twenty nine; how february and march flew by

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

feels like we had matching wounds
but mine's still black and bruised
and yours is perfectly fine
- the exit; conan gray

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

February 3rd, 1976 - 

Regulus was ignoring Aria, and she was determined to discover why.  More like Regulus was ignoring Aria, she knew exactly why, but every time she tried to talk to him about it, he'd run away. She always knew their conversation a few weeks ago didn't even brush the surface of the complex mess that was the relationship of the Black brothers, but she let it go. 

The two brothers were far more alike than they thought, brushing away any emotion, determined to face the world with a brave face and act like nothing was going on. But enough was enough, and Aria had it with Regulus giving her the silent treatment. So she trekked up to the Astronomy tower after dinner, smiling to herself in victory as she saw Regulus staring off into space, leaning casually against the rail.

"He left you behind," she noted, announcing her presence to the boy, who looked like he was considering turning and fleeing. "You can be angry you know? You may not be Sirius, and you have every reason to stay instead of going, but that doesn't mean it can't hurt. Don't look at me and tell me you haven't been ignoring me the last two weeks after we talked Regulus Arcturus Black."

"He chose you," the younger Black brother whispered hoarsely. "He chose you because once again I wasn't good enough. I've done everything right, followed every rule, and still my mother cares more about what my brother does. I was the spare growing up, sure I was perfect, but it didn't matter because Sirius had to be. To Sirius I was always good enough, till I wasn't. Till I was replaced by James Potter. And now he's confirmed what I've always known, he chose you."

"He didn't choose us," Aria disagreed, a soft smile on her face. "He chose himself, he just was forced to do so without any planning. He had nowhere to go, he just panicked and picked the only place he could think of. He tried leaving the next morning, of course we were having none of it and made him stay. He had it planned out, save up, turn seventeen, get out as soon as possible, but it all sort of went awry."

"He still considers your brother more of a brother than me."

"Maybe your relationship is a bit, okay very, strained at the moment, but trust me he cherished the bond you shared. He knows it's not safe for you to see him and he cannot face you  either to be honest. He thinks he lets you down. And I know he cares, just trust me on that."