twenty five; the prank & the rift in the marauders

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

i hate you for what you did, and i miss you like a little kid
i faked it every time, but that's alright
i can hardly feel anything, i hardly feel anything at all
- motion sickness; phoebe bridgers

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

November 18th, 1975 -

When Sirius heatedly challenged Snape to make an appearance at the Whomping Willow the night of a full moon, he didn't really know what he had done. He was angry and goading Snape, he wanted to make the boy pay for what he had done. Part of him wanted the boy to hurt, the angry and bitter part of him that was clouded by darkness, and in the heat of the moment, that part of him had won. And now as he approached James to tell him the truth of what he had done, the realization set in; that Remus was in danger, that Snape could get killed, and that Aria would never forgive him.

"You did what!?" James demanded, jumping up in anger as he faced Sirius.

Guiltily the boy rocked on his heels, fiddling with his hands, "I told Snape to come to the Whomping Willow tonight..."

"What in your right mind possessed you to do that?"

"I wanted him to hurt," Sirius confessed, his voice a whisper. "I wanted him to hurt like he hurt Ari."

"That doesn't mean you endanger Remus, potentially murder him, and expose all of us! You pull a prank and let him suffer through detention," James said sharply.

"I know I messed up!" Sirius shouted. "But I need you to help me get out of this mess we're going to enter in a few hours. Please James, you can be mad at me, you should hate at me; but you're my brother and I need your help."

"I'll find a way to stop Snape," James said, pacing the room, nervously running a hand through his messy hair. "You tell Ari and Peter and make sure they're nowhere near the Willow tonight."

"And what am I supposed to tell them?" Sirius demanded, throwing his hands in the air. "Oh by the way, Snape may be paying Moony a visit because I told him that he should pay a visit to the Whomping Willow?"

"Don't yell at me!" James snapped. "I'm not the one at fault. Go tell Ari you overheard McGonagall saying that she's going to observe Remus to make sure he's doing alright. Use Ari's injury as a reason she can't come as well. Tell Peter exactly what happened. You can tell them the truth tomorrow, if you tell Ari today she'll flip and try to stop all of it, rushing off into danger while she's just been injured. If this somehow doesn't go to shit and you're still alive tomorrow then the first thing you're going to do is tell them the truth."