five; the cool friend

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

here's to the heart of friendship, tried and true,
that laughs with us when joys our pathway strew;
and kneels with us when sorrow, like a pall.
enshrouds our stricken souls; then smiles through all
the midnight gloom with more than human faith.
here's to the love that seeks not self, and hath
no censure for our frailty, but doth woo.
by gentle arts, our spirits back into
the way of truth; then sheds upon our lives
a radiance that all things else survives.
- the heart of friendship; unknown

══════ ≪ ❈ ≫ ══════

January 9th, 1972 -

It was a practically giddy James and Sirius that boarded the Express to return to Hogwarts for the second half of first year for many different reasons. 

Number one, James had finally been gifted the Potter family invisibility cloak, a present that Fleamont had handed to his children with a giddy smile while his wife watched with plenty of eye rolling and an exasperated, yet fond smile. Needless to say, James was determined to put the cloak to good use, taking his father's warning not to get caught to heart, as he hoped to significantly lower the number of detentions he would receive in the future. 

Sirius was incredibly glad that he had decided to spend the Christmas holidays with the Potters. He experienced decorating a Christmas tree, cooking in the kitchen, watching Aria and James argue over how to make a cake, James exploding a cake, then proceeding to get chased out of the kitchen with a very angry Tiffy and a rolling pin. But what surprised him the most was the Christmas gifts waiting under the tree for him the morning of Christmas, something Euphemia ensured would be there as she had every intention of adopting Sirius into their family, similar to what her children had done. So Sirius was armed with a penknife charmed to break the lock of any door, ready to assist James in any trouble making.

Aria received a different Potter family heirloom, a silver ring encrusted with rubies, the two colors of the Potter family.  It rested comfortably on the middle finger of her left hand and looked beautiful, but what Aria loved even more was the history of it. The number of daughters of House Potter who had worn that ring were numerous, the worn silver holding cherished memories, the dents showing the hard work of those who wore it before her, the countless tales of Potter family history whispered like legends to the children were depicted within the small trinket. 

But what Aria was most happy about were the bright smiles on the boys' faces as the four planned all they could do with their new tools for staying out of trouble. With a mildly exasperated roll of her eyes, she returned to her book, absentmindedly stroking Remus's head as he laid it on her lap.