Dangerous Choices

The rain hit the window in a haunting silence

The rain hit the window in a haunting silence. The drops were hypnotizing as they kept appearing and disappearing before Mackenzie. The candle on the dresser next to her kept blowing out. On and off. As if the water outside were affecting it. The smoke became invisible and only the smell remained. Mackenzie stared at a drop sliding on the glass before her before it disappeared, snatched away by another one. She started tucking at her shirt, Elijah's shirt, which was way too big for her. She kept her hands warm inside the long sleeves, but she shivered as her bare legs suffered from the cold.

It was as if it woke her up, putting an end to her hypnosis. Warming up was easy for a phoenix and if she knew how to control the element of ice, she wouldn't have been bothered by the cold at all. But Heidi hadn't been able to tell her anything about it, and no one had taught her how to not freeze over. What she did next was as natural for her as it was natural for a human to pick up a blanket. She ignited a fire inside of her, spreading it through her body, chasing away the cold. The candle flamed big and bright in a silent roar and she sighed as she became comfortable again.

Her right shoulder rested against the wall, her knee placed on the window seat, as she stared out the window, at Rebekah's garden, at the dark green wet grass and the grey cloudy sky. She heard movement in the room, behind her. She turned slightly, thinking Elijah had turned over in his sleep again, but a small smile appeared on her face when she met his eyes.

"Good morning."

He smiled back at her as he sat up.

"Good morning."

If vampires could feel the cold, he probably wouldn't have been walking around in his boxers only, but vampires couldn't feel the cold, to Mackenzie's delight.

"Couldn't sleep?" he asked softly as he slid his arms on her waist, pulling her gently to his chest, before placing a kiss on her naked shoulder.

"It's raining. Kept me up," she replied quietly, her eyes focusing back on the waving branches of the willow tree at the end of the garden.

"The noise?"

"No. The water."

"Can't you tune it out?" he wondered as his lips started the voyage between her shoulder and her neck.