Undead Creature

When Mackenzie woke up, she felt lazy. She didn't want to get out of bed. It was the first time in two years since she felt like sleeping late was a possible option for her. There was nothing to worry about. For the second time this week she didn't have to hurry to make Robert's breakfast. She didn't even have to worry about him. Elijah had compelled him to ignore her completely. It's not that he wasn't allowed to talk to her, he just couldn't do it anymore. He couldn't even look at her.

She was exhausted. Practicing magic was the hardest thing she ever had to do. It was so easy and yet so hard. It was like learning how to walk all over again, and she was just a baby at this stage. Within the last two days she had met with Jonas twice. Twice now the warlock had forced her to stare at a dead plant for hours, asking her to revive it. But to no end. It was frustrating.

As much as she would have loved to stay in her bed, she knew she couldn't. Elijah was picking her up early this morning. They were going to look for a witch burial ground where witches had been massacred centuries ago. Elijah said Jonas would need the power if he would be the one who were to face Klaus, and that they would probably need the extra power anyways. He also said they might find it faster as she would be able to feel the magic from the site. Moreover, it had been over 24h now. She needed Elijah's blood again to cover the strong smell of her own.

She got up and took a shower. She made sure Robert was gone before she walked down the stairs. Even though she knew he couldn't hurt her anymore, she couldn't help but be uncomfortable in his presence. Scared, even. It was Saturday, which meant he would either stay home all day or go meet his friends and/or colleagues somewhere. Seeing as his car wasn't there when she looked out the window of her room, she guessed it was the second option.

She had just finished cleaning up the kitchen when Elijah knocked on her door. He was wearing a suit, as always. Mackenzie never dared ask why, she liked the mystery. She liked to believe he was just that old-fashioned.

"Hey," she said as she gave him a small smile. "Come in."

"Good morning, Ms. Alemaund," he smiled back at her as he stepped inside her home.

"So, how is it?" she asked, a little bit nervous, as she closed the door.

"Not bad," he said. "But still strong."

"Can I leave my house like this?"

"Yes," he nodded. "But I'm afraid you won't be able to on Monday."

"So, you're coming back on Monday, then?"

"Yes. I have to take you to Jonas anyway" he told her. "Are you ready? We don't want to make Ms. Sommers wait."

***

Jenna was a little surprised by Mackenzie's presence. Elijah explained to her that Mackenzie was curious about his research and he agreed that she accompany them.