Untrustworthy Creatures

Mackenzie usually felt bad about lying, yet when Elena asked her if she had seen any ghosts the day before, she lied

Mackenzie usually felt bad about lying, yet when Elena asked her if she had seen any ghosts the day before, she lied. She didn't feel like talking about it. Somehow, she knew Elena would bombard her with questions and Mackenzie didn't feel strong enough to answer them. She wished Elijah were there. She'd have talked about it with him. She wanted to talk about it with him.

So, instead of talking about her dead mother, they talked about what they had discovered the previous night, thanks to a dead werewolf named Mason Lockwood, whom Damon had killed earlier that year. He had led the vampire into a cave where Alaric had later found carvings dating from way before Mystic Falls was founded. Given the Viking scripts they had found there, and how they translated into names, names they knew too well, they had asked Mackenzie to help them uncover the meaning of it. So, that's how she ended up there, standing in the middle of a dark, cold, humid cave, telling Elijah's story to Elena, Alaric and Damon.

"That's Kol and Finn, Elijah's brothers," she said, pointing at the names on the wall, confirming Alaric's translation. "Mikael is their father. Esther is their mother. They lived among the werewolves as humans before their mother turned them into vampires."

"I take it that's the Original witch," Damon said.

"I guess," Mackenzie shrugged. Elijah had never called her that. "Does Rebekah know you're trying to wake her father?" She wished they wouldn't. Sure, he could kill Klaus, but he also could kill Rebekah, and Elijah.

"Not yet," Elena said. "But I'll tell her when I ask her about all of this."

"Are you sure you wanna do that?"

"I don't have a choice. If we wanna know the truth, we gotta go straight to the source."

"Well..." Mackenzie sighed. "Good luck with that."

***

The elemental helped the history professor take pictures of the carvings and then helped him translate them once they were back in his apartment. Bonnie joined them, bringing the Original witch's necklace with her, confirming what Alaric was thinking and translating the symbol that had the same design. Witch. Werewolf. Vampire. That wall told the story of the Original family.

They went back to the cave later that night with Elena who wanted to compare Rebekah's story with the symbols on the walls.

"We filled in what we could," Alaric told her. "We've got vampire, werewolf, slaughter, mayhem, etc," he said as he stuck the post-it notes on the wall.

"That's the white oak tree that was used in the spell to create the vampires," Elena said as she flashed her flashlight over the carvings. "Which means," she continued as she moved her flashlight over the next drawings, "that was when they burned down the tree, destroying the only way they could be killed."

"Yeah," Mackenzie nodded. "We already went over that. The thing I found that didn't coincide with what Elijah told me was this," she said, shedding light over the last symbols on the wall. "Elijah said that his father killed his mother."