Birthday Gift

I'm sorry this is so short, I wrote this a couple of weeks ago as the first part of chapter 39 and found myself unable to finish it, so here it is.

I hope you'll like it!

"I ate too much cake," Mackenzie complained as she let herself fall on her bed

Elijah closed the bathroom door and walked across their bedroom in a pair of black joggings, looking for his shirt and found it on Mackenzie. He chuckled.

"That's mine."

"It smells like you," she smiled as she stretched her arms towards him, inviting him to join her.

He took her hand and kneeled on the mattress as he brought it to his lips and placed a kiss on her knuckles, a kiss on her wrist, kissed up her arm until his mouth found her neck. She wrapped her arms around him as she giggled at the contact of his tongue on her skin.

"What did Heidi want?" he asked, but a whisper in her ear.

She bit her lips before she kissed his cheek and pushed him off her, pushed him onto his side and onto his back and moved to straddle him with a smile on her face.

"I asked her to find something for me."

"And did she?" he asked, placing his hands on either side of her hips.

"Yes."

"Does it have anything to do with your late nights with Olivia?"

"No more late nights. I have what I was looking for."

"And what was that?"

She grimaced. "I don't know how to tell you."

"It looks like good news, from the smile on your face."

She laughed. "Yeah. It's just... I wanted to do something for you. But I didn't know how, and Olivia tried to help and maybe, eventually, we would have found a way. But... I asked Heidi to help. She found it."

"Found what?"

"A spell."

"A spell to do what?"

"For vampires to have children."

Mackenzie felt him freeze under her, like time had stopped, like his heart stopped, like she'd just put a dagger through his heart.

"What?"

It was a quiet murmur, but she heard it loud and clear.

"It works. Heidi got it from Ambrosia. She knows it works. She's pregnant," she said, which didn't seem to help him get his mind around the information, "I just... I just wanted you to know... one day, you can have a child of your own if you want. I just wanted you to have that choice back."

He tilted his head slowly to the side as he watched her with confounded eyes like she was speaking an alien language he couldn't understand.

"You don't have to say anything," she said as she lied down on top of him, resting her head against his chest. "I just wanted you to know. I have the spell. If you want it. One day."

It took him a while to get his breath back, took him a while to shake off his bones that certainty he would never be a father, took him a while for the mere idea of having children to register within his mind as a simple truth, a normal possibility, an eventual opportunity.

A shaky breath escaped him as he wrapped his arms tightly around her, and she didn't need to look up at his face to know tears had found their way onto his cheeks, she didn't need to say any more words, and he didn't need to speak either. She knew, because she knew him so well. She knew who he was, to his core. Maybe she knew him better than he knew himself.

"I love you, Elijah. One day I'll be ready to give you everything you've ever wanted."