Fairy of Fire (Part 2 & 3)

"I'm sorry to hear you are leaving us already

"I'm sorry to hear you are leaving us already."

The queen's words echoed in the large throne room. Mackenzie always wondered why they never bothered to put some furniture in there. It would reduce the echo and make it warmer too. This room was always chilly, and if she had to be honest, it intimidated her. Which, she thought, was probably what Margo wanted.

"I'm surprised they stayed here for this long," Alexander chuckled, interrupting his monarch.

Margo ignored the remark, like she always did, with a wave of the hand.

"We shall have another ball," she continued. "When are you leaving?"

"Sunday, your Majesty," Elijah replied politely.

"Mmh, that doesn't give us enough time to prepare..."

"A ball is unnecessary," Mackenzie said. "We don't want to bother you with..."

"Nonsense," Margo stopped her. "We'll have a dinner, at least. Friday night. Just us, and Cornelius, of course, he'd be unhappy not to be invited to say goodbye."

"A dinner sounds lovely," Elijah nodded.

"Excellent!" Margo replied as she got up from her throne. "Heidi will inform the servants and the cooks," she said, and Heidi nodded before she exited the room without a word. The witch hadn't expressed any joy or disappointment at the news of the couple's departure. "And Alexander will make sure Cornelius receives an invitation."

"Running to it," he said with an ironic smile. He never did like Lord Fay.

Mackenzie smiled back at him as he winked at her before he followed Heidi's footsteps.

"Any travel plans?" Margo asked as she made her way to them.

"London," Elijah replied. "And then... we'll see."

"Terrible idea," she said. "England in January?"

"It's still a beautiful city, no matter how cold."

"I suppose that's true," Margo dismissed them with a wave of the hand. "Well, I have work to do. Please, enjoy your last few days among us."

"We will," Mackenzie politely nodded.

She took the hand Elijah was handing to her and Mackenzie felt relieved as they finally exited the white marbled room.

"I don't think England is any worse in January than the Forest is."

"Have you seen the sun since we got here?" she asked with humor.

"I can't seem to remember," he replied with a grin.

***

"Ouch!"

"You need to stay focus, Mack! Vampires are stronger and faster than you, you need to be prepared to defend yourself."