Gone Creature

The screams echoing in the hallways were nothing unusual anymore

The screams echoing in the hallways were nothing unusual anymore. It had started on the night of Jonas and Luka's murder and had continued well after that. Even after Elijah and the Salvatores had set their differences aside and allied to defeat Klaus, even after Bonnie got the powers from the burial ground, even after Elena had insisted on having lunch with Mackenzie every single day of the school week. The nightmares were there and they weren't going away. She knew that. And so did he.

"Mackenzie," he whispered as he sat down on the edge of her bed, placing a hand on her cheek.

She woke up with a start as he stroke a thumb on her wet face.

"It's okay," he said like he always did, "you're okay."

She sniffed, then took a deep breath then sniffed again, before she slowly sat up.

"Sorry," she said like she always did, as she wiped the tears off her face with the back of her hand.

It had been almost two weeks and nothing had helped. Practicing her magic didn't work. Spending time with the girls, making friends with them, didn't work. Bonnie's teas didn't work. Helping Caroline with the dance didn't work, not that Mackenzie had ever thought it would.

The first week, she had asked him to stay with her and he had never refused. But the second week, she hadn't needed to ask anymore. He laid down next to her without a word and she moved to rest her head on his shoulder. She usually slept perfectly after that.

"Are you ready for the dance tomorrow?" he made her laugh.

"You keep asking like you want to go," she joked back.

"What is it again?"

"A 60's dance."

"I'd rather chase down Katerina."

"Still no word from her?"

"No," he shook his head, "my guess is Klaus has her. Damon and Stefan said they haven't seen her since..."

"Since the Martins..."

"Mmh," he nodded.

"Do you think she's dead?"