Charlie Brown and I aren't so different in the Christmas season

It was the last day before winter break. The whole school was excused to go home early, and our teachers allowed us to hold a small Christmas party inside each of our classrooms. Our class was planning to have a merry Christmas feast and then hold a gift exchange. It wasn't like me to feel excited for such a pathetic activity but I felt myself smile at the thought of attending a Christmas event. Maybe it was the holiday spirit working inside of me. On the way to school in the bus I opened my bag to make sure I packed everything I needed for today. My present was closed in a small box and wrapped with colorful paper. This year I was going to participate in the gift exchange and I would have someone to give a gift too. I knew I shouldn't be too anticipated but I was excited that maybe...I might be able to receive one back.

I found my card in the pocket of my uniform. I grinned with satisfaction.

This year, it may be different.

My card was in bright red and green, with sparkly letters sighed to Bom.

It didn't go entirely as I planned.

Today no one greeted me at the door. I looked around the classroom but Bom was no where to be seen. Later the bell rang and there still wasn't the familiar girl beside me. I didn't lose my hope though. She could be just late. But Bom didn't turn up; not during first and second block. Not during our Christmas dinner- which didn't feel as happy as I thought it would be. Now the time was near and I was disappointed. And I was angry at myself for being disappointed because I should have known not to have expected something.

So another year past and everyone passed around a card to each other. I kept my present inside my bag and held in close to me.

Except one girl who was kind enough to give me a Christmas card, which suspiciously looked like it was scribbled quickly in the morning, I got nothing.

The gift exchange ended just like that.

It would be an understatement to say that I was merely disappointed.

Just once, I might have gotten something. Just a well thoughtfully written card!

'Who am I kidding,' I sighed to myself. It's not like I knew Bom was actually going to give me something.

On the way out of school I took out my present from my bag and chucked it, with force, into the near by dumpster. It had been a new set of pencils, specially wrapped for Bom, but now I was a fool to care.

Slowly, I walked out of the school building, towards the near by bus stop.

Sorrow build up in me like it had never before, and my eyes stung like it always did before I wanted to cry. I tried hard not to cry. It would look pathetic that I was crying because of something as stupid as a gift exchange.

WHAM!

Someone had slammed me from my side and I closed my eyes tight. It wasn't a hard push but it was an excuse to let me close my eyes. I blinked twice and looked down on the ground, forcefully pushing back my eyes, when something red caught my eye.

It was a small box wrapped in red wrapping paper. Surprise and the long lost feeling of contentment and joy swept over me as my eyes caught on to the silvery writing on the top.

My name. It was my name written on top of that box.

I picked the box up quickly and scanned around to find the culprit. In the distance I saw a tall figure, a good distance away by now, waving her hand furiously as she kept running. The reddish brown hair swished back and forth as she ran.

I waved back and cheerfully and couldn't help myself but yell, "Merry Christmas."

Many people stared at me as though I was crazy but I wasn't embarrassed. I had received something for Christmas, more precious than anything. And the small yet strong cry from the distance "Merry Christmas" made me feel so much special, more than a regular box of a wrapped up present should give.

I hurriedly opened the box and it revealed a small note and a bunch of chocolate.

The note said: "Hey Hyori. Sorry I couldn't be there for the party. Spread the holiday Cheers! Here's a gift to remember me during the break! -Bom"

A grin was permanently pasted on my face as I put the present safely in my backpack, as I rode the bus, and arrive home. I finally stopped grinning as I suddenly felt something that made me feel horrible.

My gift that was meant for Bom, I had thrown it out on frustration.

It was too late to go back for it now.

Had Bom wanted something in return?

Then why she didn't she stop and talk?

Had she seen me throw away the present and help hurt?

Why was she not at school in the first place?

Millions of questions flooded in my head, not a single one with a definite answer. The only thing that I knew was that I felt guilty and ashamed.