Chapter 1

Megan POV 

     I wandered the empty halls of my school. Everything was so quiet around me. The only thing I could hear was the sound of my own footsteps. 

     I felt strange, as if I wasn't quite myself. Or maybe I wasn't quite where I was supposed to be. 

     Come to think of it, why was I even in my school? What day was it? I couldn't remember.

     If it were a school day, then there should be other people here. If it were a school day, then I shouldn't be all alone. If it were a school day, the lights should be on. 

     I looked up at the ceiling, and saw that all the lights were indeed turned off. 

     I had no idea why I was here, and I was starting to get the feeling that I shouldn't be here in the first place. 

     I kept walking forward though, unaware of where exactly I was going, and unknowing of the dangers that were lurking in the shadows. 

     Apparently, I didn't have any sense of time, since I had no idea how long I had been pacing around the seemingly endless hallways, before I heard the click of a door opening. 

     I didn't know why, but my heartbeat began to pick up speed, and I started to get a creeping sensation all throughout my body. 

     The sound of a door closing echoed through the dark hall, then a moment later I heard footsteps coming towards me. 

     I had the sudden urge to run, but as I picked up speed, I kept glancing behind me. I saw a tall, shadowy figure far down the hall, but it was slowly getting closer to me. 

     My walk soon turned into a jog, then a run, then quickly became a full out sprint. 

     The entire time, I could still hear the figure behind me, getting closer and closer, until it was only a few steps away from me. 

     I cried out in terror as I looked behind me, and saw the figure not even a foot away from me. 

     I put on a burst of speed, but my vision was starting to get blurry with tears. 

     I turned a corner sharply, then another one in a different direction, trying desperately to lose the figure behind me. 

     My throat was starting to burn, and I knew I had to stop soon. 

     I looked behind me once again, and to my relief, saw that the figure was not there anymore. 

     I slowed down, then opened the first door I saw. 

     I hurried into the room, then quietly closed the door behind me. I locked it, then leaned my hands against it, closing my eyes and breathing heavily. Cardio was seriously not my thing. 

     When I finally had my breath back, I turned around and realized what room I was in. 

     It was the photography room. 

     A million memories flashed through my head, which brought on a whole other wave of emotions. My eyes started to water, so I used my sleeve to carefully wipe them away, since I didn't want to damage my makeup. 

     I turned back to the door, to look through the window to see if the figure was anywhere in sight, and shrieked in terror. 

     Looming right in front of me was the extremely tall and terrifying figure, except now, I could see it's features. Or should I say, his features. 

     The familiar reddish brown hair, the bright blazingly blue eyes, the blood stained dark grey hoodie. 

     I was staring up at my ex-boyfriend, Dean Stevens. Except now, he was even more terrifying and tall than I remembered. 

     He was probably about 6'4 now, whereas before he was about 6'2. He was also now covered in blood, and there seemed to be a dark aura surrounding him, radiating off him like he was some radioactive material that was about to destroy the world. 

     Dean grinned down at me, but it wasn't his charming grin, it was the grin he gave to his victims before he slaughtered them. 

     He took a step towards me, holding out his blood stained knife. I took a step back, trying not to cry. 

     I had no idea what to do. I wanted to scream for help, but I couldn't speak. I wanted to shove Dean away, but I didn't have the strength. All I could do was back up, before my back hit the brick wall behind me. 

     I glanced back briefly to see if there was another way out, which there wasn't. When I looked back up at Dean, he was only inches away from me, poising his knife at my neck. 

     I finally got my voice back, as I screamed again, but it was cut short by a flash of silver. 

     My neck started to burn, and I could feel liquid seeping out of it. 

     I looked up at Dean with tragic eyes, but he looked down at me with cold soulless eyes. 

     I tried to speak, but all that came out of my mouth was blood. 

     Dean smirked darkly at me, then abruptly swung his knife at me again. 

     I let out another scream, this one choked in blood, before everything drowned in darkness. 

—-

     I abruptly jolt awake, breathing heavily. 

     It takes me a moment to reorient myself, but I finally realize that I'm in my mom's car. 

     I'm safe. I'm far away from Dean. I'm going to college. 

     Oh shit. I'm going to college! 

     I look out the window, and realize my mom is driving me to the college that I got accepted into. 

     I'm leaving high school behind, and starting a new chapter of my life. 

     I get to be a new person. The shadows of my past aren't going to follow me around anymore. I get to start completely over. 

     "Megan? Megan, are you alright?" My mom asks in concern, as if she's been trying to get my attention for the past few seconds. 

     I look over at her and smile. 

     I'm free from him. He will never find me. He will never hurt me again. 

     "Yeah, mom. I'm actually really great."