Chapter 37

Dean POV

     I drive down the snowy road, feeling anger bubbling inside me. I don't think I've stopped feeling angry since my date, which was months ago. I still don't have Megan, and it's all Johnny's fault! He had a clear shot at Megan, Colin took the bullet, and guess what Johnny did? He ran for the goddamn hills! He totally dipped out, when he could have shot Megan after Colin was down. But NO, he was too much of a fucking coward!

     I glance over at my partner (who I didn't kill, and is still very much alive), and briefly study the long scar that starts right above his right eyebrow, slices through it, misses his eye but continues half way down his cheek. I gave that to him when he came back that night with no Megan. He explained what happened, and I was so close to killing him, but he begged for mercy and I figured that it's best to keep him around until I definitely don't need him anymore. Still, for punishment, I sliced my knife across his face. It was mainly just an unreasonable violent impulse, but it was either that, or spilling all of his blood.

     Right now, we're following the tracker on my computer to....somewhere. I have no idea where we're going, but it's where Megan is going, so I'm just following her. I'm getting pretty damn desperate at this point. My caution is fading away, and I'm getting closer and closer to losing my shit. I NEED Megan. She's my everything, and I will do literally anything to get her back. I just need to see her again, to hear her, to touch her, to feel her....

     Fantasies start to bounce around in my head, but I need to shut them down, since I have to concentrate on the road. I can fantasize about Megan and all the things I'm going to do to her later, when I'm not driving a car down an icy road.

     Finally, I see something ahead, and when I squint into the distance I see a car parked on the side of the road. As far as I know, Megan doesn't have a car, but it could be someone else's, like Colin's.

     "Is this our stop?" I ask Johnny, who has the computer out now.

     "Yeah, but she's deep in the forest. My guess is that she's camping." He says, squinting at the screen.

     I'm half tempted to just charge in there and rip everyone apart, but I have no idea how many people are with them, and if they have weapons or not. I have a knife and a gun with me, but if there's six other people in there, I might not be able to take them all on at the same time.

     No, I still have to be smart about this. The best option is to wait until night. That way I can blend in with the shadows and hunt Megan down in the dark, so she won't see me until it's too late.

     "So what's your plan?" Johnny asks me.

     "We're going to wait until night, then we'll go out in all black and track her signal. Once we find her, I need you to be the distraction. All you need to do is keep her attention on your figure, but don't let her see your face. I don't want her to know it's me until I have her back in the hotel. Just distract her for long enough that I can sneak up on her and seduce her. Got it?" I explain.

     Johnny nods.

     "Good." I say. "Now we wait."

—-

     About two hours later we're on the move. We're both dressed in black pants, black hoodies with the hoods up, and black bandannas. The only parts of us that are visible are our eyes. Hopefully Megan won't recognize me just based off of my eyes.

     We weave in between the dark trees, even though I keep tripping on hidden roots and rocks. So far, I can't see anything but darkness ahead, but finally I see a few lights in the distance, along with smoke in the air. I squint into the darkness, and see a faint outline of a cabin. A few moments later, the front door opens, and I see four people walk out. All with what seems to be glow sticks around their necks.

     One is blue, one is pink, one is orange, and one is green. I take my chances, and choose to follow the pink one.

     After a few minutes of them standing around and talking, they all run off in different directions, except for the blue one, who is still standing there. I'm guessing they're playing Hide and Seek or something.

     I focus all of my attention on the pink glowing dot in the distance, then turn back to Johnny.

     "Let's go, the hunt is on."