"Sir, I'm pregnant."

"Oh. We'll still accept you after. We're not pushing you to the curb just because you want an early maternity leave, Ms. De Los Santos..."

I gave a small smile. "I appreciate the thought, sir. But I'm also getting married. And we have plans of raising our child in our hometown at the Philippines."

"Oh... That's too bad..." he nodded. "But it's fine. I wish you happiness on your marriage and family life, Ms. De Los Santos. Safe trip back to your home country. I'll write you a recommendation letter if you have plans on working in a hospital over there."

I bowed, very thankful. "Thank you, sir."

"Girl! You're leaving?! Why?!" Gea shrieked. I laughed. "Why're you laughing?! Pa'no ako?!"

"I'll keep in touch, Gea. You chat like every other hour every day, partida nasa isang state lang tayo. What more if we're continents apart! Baka 'di mo ako tatantanan niyan." I said the last part quietly.

"Huh?" ngumiwi si Gea. "I didn't hear but sige nalang. Wait..." she paused. "You still didn't tell me the reason! Does Julian want to go back?"

I shook my head. "The three of us want to go back..."

Sandaling nagisip si Gea. "Three...?" Her mouth shaped into an o. "Don't tell me-" she stopped when she saw the look on my face. "Putangina!" she screamed. We were the only ones in the room as I gathered my things and placed them inside a small bag. Paborito talagang Filipino word ni Gea ay iyon. Kasama ng iba pang mura. May mga combinations pa nga 'yan 'e.

I laughed as she screamed inside the room. The look on her face was priceless. She sat beside me and looked at me intently. "Can I touch your tummy?"

I nodded, "Does he kick?- Ay wait... Boy or girl? How many weeks na ba? You're still so thin! If you didn't tell me, I would not even know!"

"Girl... 15 weeks na... We're getting married, you know... Julian and I."

"Fuck! Gosh, what was the phrase again? Sana all? Ugh, I hate this life." her accent was thick as she said that.

Nilakihan ko siya ng mata. "You have to come, ha. Ninang ka."

"Yes, of course! I'll start buying clothes na nga 'e!"

I opened my arms. Though, I'll atleast finish one more week of internship here (to complete it), mamimiss ko si Gea. She was there during my last two years of med school, during clerkship, and after graduation as soon as we started interning. She has heard my rants and seen my hardship throughout the years...

Tumayo siya at niyakap ako.

"I guess I'll see you in a few months at the wedding."

"Hi, Sammie..." I sat down beside her bed. I caressed her hair as she slept. Gea was at my side. Kanina niya lang nadeliver ang good news. Turns out, the chemo was working in miraculous ways. The possibility of Sammie being cancer free was very high and she might be able to go home.