19. Aarav

Everything. The New York nights, the days in our little microcosm, the fights, the reunions, the blazing intensity of it all. I lay everything out, bare and true for Sakshi to hear.
And when I finish I do feel better.
Like a rope snapped and the lead block fell away.
The fact that I have someone who knows fractionally, how difficult it gets with Madhav sometimes, is a revelation.

She is listening to every word, soaking everything in.
Sakshi is a tough girl. She reminds me of my mother. The same stern expression.
The way Madhav, bright eyed, talked about her, I was expecting someone different. Someone cute and sunny.
But she is nothing like that.
She stands tall and lithe. Dusky like me, her hair is a tangle of long curls and she has pursed lips, like someone who rarely speaks.
But her eyes, they talk. She has those doe eyes with dark corners, that flare in anger but soften within moments. Her stare is full of focus. Like she believes in her heart that she can change the world just by focussing her energy.
In that stare, I realise, I'm not losing this fight against whatever is holding Madhav hostage.

Not with her on my team.

Hope rises somewhere inside me. There is still a chance.

"Thank you Sakshi. I needed that."
Before I hear her reply, my phone rings. It is Mr. Dasani.

He is conscious.
We sprint to his floor. Mr. Verma and Mr. Dasani greet us with wide smiles.

"I'd suggest only 2 visitors right now." A doctor says dryly.
Mr. Verma gestures me and Sakshi to proceed.

When I look at him, laying there, his left arm bandaged, his dazzling eyes vacant and his lips chapped, I almost turn away and run but a grip tightens on my arm. We have to be brave, I briefly glance at her, Yes, move ahead, her glare says.

So I do.

"Hello lady and gentleman." His voice seems to be coming from a distance, like it isn't fully here.

"You scared us." Sakshi says crisply.

"Well Octo... October is almost here anyway." He says.

I want to slap him.

"Aarav. Won't you even look at me ?"

"Suicide is a big joke to you, isn't it?" I finally snap.

"I wasn't trying to kill myself." He says. His eyes plead with mine.

"Then what were you trying to do?"

"I...I....well I was...." he takes his eyes away, this is too much for him.

"He was punishing himself." Sakshi says and we both look at her.

"He thinks that he is the cause of all our problems and he was punishing himself for it. You are so smart Verma, thinking you have the moral compass to write verdicts for yourself. Well, news flash, the only person you punished here is this idiot who somehow, happens to love you. We haven't slept one bit. One bit! Whatever you think you are doing rightly, justly, isn't working, Madhav. I think it's time that you need to accept that you need help. You can't handle everything all by yourself. Admit that you need help. Let us do this. Let us take care of you." She manages to say before tears get the best of her. She walks out.

"Aarav. I....I'm sorry...."

"I don't want your sorry. I want you. Alive and well. Let me take you away. It'll only be the 3 of us. Please. Please let me do this. Let me help you."
That's all I can say.

We look at each other.
Please let me go. Don't help me.
I can't let you go.
Please.
Please.
And so we argue, beg and plead,
Without saying a single word.

"Ok. As you wish. I can't refuse you...." He says. His eyes drop. He is tired.

Another little win.
I'll win you over, bit by bit. I'll win you over.

I caress a strand away from his forehead, he is asleep.

"I'll save you."
I whisper.
I will.
He is mine to have.
I will.

Something turns to stone inside me. This time, he can't leave.

I'll save you.