Sixty-Seven

Ellora had wandered her way back to the Palace. She entered through the servant's gate on the side so that she would not have the chance of running into Lord Cyrus or Mr. Garson. Her clothes were drenched and her hair dripping wet. Feeling like she were leaving little puddles wherever she went, she made her way up a servant's staircase to her room to quickly change her clothes.

She sighed with relief that no one was in her room, quickly moving to grab a towel and a new set of clothes. Hanging the wet ones over the partition and changing into a light blue dress patterned with tiny daisies. Her finger hurriedly combed through her hair, tugging at the knots along the way and quickly braiding it up and out of the way for the rest of the day. She had another two hours before dinner. Looking about her room, she decided the best place to be would be the library, to continue studying what Nicola had been looking for in Zima.

She snuck quietly through the halls, not wanting to attract any attention from anyone. The palace was familiar now, different in a way more like home. She had become accustomed to the way the people moved about and when it would be the quietest to go through the halls.
The voices of Mr. Garson and Lord Cyrus echoed from the opposite end. She rushed to the door on her lightest feet, and snuck in quickly before they had the chance to round the corner. She closed it softly so that there would not be a click.

"What do we have here? A church mouse?" A jolly voice boomed behind her.

Ellora turned to meet the King, sitting across from the fireplace, a cup of tea on his side table and a chessboard in front of him. Only his side had even moved, the other pieces were still in their original positions. Practicing? She thought and then remembered the King had spoken to her, "Oh, no, Your Majesty, just me, Ellora."

He chuckled, "Come, come. Sit in front of me. I am fond of chess. Let's play."

"Oh, no, I won't disturb you, Your Highness." She wanted to leave, but knew that Mr. Garson and Cyrus were still behind the door, which left her standing awkwardly with her hand on the knob and her back to the birch door.

"Nonsense." He declared, motioning to the seat in front of him.

She nodded, it would be rude to dismiss his invitation again. He was the King of Ilios afterall and Nicola's father, so she assumed he was probably also temperamental. Ellora sat at the edge of the chair, staring at the beautiful marble chess set in front of her while the King moved the pieces back into position to start.

He motioned to her, "You go first, Lady Ellora."

Ellora swallowed nervously, she had only played chess a handful of times with Bracken and her father, and with little success. She tentatively placed her hand on the smooth glass of a pawn, moving it forward two spaces.

The King nodded, while moving his own pawn, "Ellora... where have I heard that name before? Where were you from?"

Ellora moved another piece, "The Southern Isles."

"Ah, yes." He winked as though he had a tick and moved another piece, "I remember now, you are the one who destroyed our ports..."

"I'm very sorry." She interrupted him.

He nodded and continued, "... I left you to my son's charge. I am surprised not to see him with you."

"Well, he isn't pleased with me at the moment, although that is not unusual. So, I am free to move about the castle as I please for now." She moved another piece.

The King took a sip of his tea, chuckling, "Seems as though we are birds of a feather, I never seem to make Prince Nicola happy either."

Ellora studied the Kings face. From what Nicola had described she expected someone more like Cyrus, but she found King Henry to be easy to talk to. She smiled, "I am sure that you are not very pleased with me either."