Nine

The Chief stood, helped up his wife lovingly and patted Alyn's shoulder, "Good work today, my son."

Suddenly, Alyn was boiling over, finally able to express his true thoughts on what just happened, "Father, this is outrageous."

"Alyn. I must speak with your sister first. Please, walk your mother home. She will gladly exchange barbs with you about the King of Ilios." Her father looked at him weary. She could tell that the day had been long for the Chief.

Her mother took Alyn by the arm and they left. Ellora could tell her mother was fuming. She was a woman of few words and great passion, the perfect match for Ellora's father, who was very level headed and communicated very well.

"Ellora." Her father drew her attention back, "You have a decision to make." He was getting right to the point. "We have received a message from the King of Ilios. He wishes his son to be married as soon as possible. In order to find his brat the most suitable wife, the King has decided to host a competition of sorts. He is asking all of the leaders of the provinces to send their element-bearing daughters to the Light Province to compete for the Prince's hand."

"We are not a part of the provinces..." She questioned when he paused.

He took in a deep breath, "If you do not go to negotiate with the head of his military, the King is prepared to battle for our lands and subjugate our people."

Ellora's heart sank into her stomach as she connected all of the dots in her mind, "If I do not go and compete to be the Prince's Bride, then our people will be enslaved or killed."

"We would not last in battle with the Mainland, they are too powerful." The Chief slammed his hand down on the table so strongly that it split in two.

"It seems the decision has been made for me." Her anger flared, but she knew full well it was not her Father's fault. She dared not let the Island enter a battle with the Mainland, "If I go, will I be the only one negotiating peace with the head of their military?"

"I am hoping to send Alyn with you. However, the head of the military is currently the Prince. Therefore, you will be more likely to bend his ear. I doubt he would have time to meet with your brother while he is courting ten other element bearers."

She nodded. Unbidden tears trickled down her cheek. She wiped them away unexpectedly. Too late, her father saw them. He gathered her into a warm hug, "If there were any other way, you would not have to do this."

"I know." She wiped a set of fresh tears away, "I will serve my people." Ellora stepped away from the Chief, bowed and quickly exited the tent before new tears could form.

Bracken met her on her way home, "Ellora? Are you alright?"

Her vision blurred, she did not want anyone to see her right now. She knew what the right decision was and wanted only to follow through with it, regardless of how she felt, "I'm fine." She turned and ran, hoping Bracken would not care or know enough to follow.

Ellora's feet pounded on the familiar path through the overgrowth of the Island jungle. Birds chirped happily in the afternoon air. The animals stared at her curiously as she passed. The smell of Hibiscus engulfed her. She sat on a stone bench in the clearing. It was dotted with the colorful exotic flowers. The clearing overlooked the ocean. It was her favorite place, a place that her mother had showed her when she was very small. She used to come here and pick bouquets of flowers for her mother, and they would make crowns and hair ornaments for the girls of the tribe. But now her soul poured out through her eyes at being thrust into this awful position. Forced into selflessness. She was the only one who could go. The sea in front of her were dark and tumultuous. She was glad that no boats were out at this time of day.