Thirteen

Nicola stomped out of the alleyway, muttering to himself. Across the street the girls were looking over jewelry selections. The market had gone back to its normal pace, now that the horse and carriage were contained.

"Oh, Prince Nicola, where did you go?" Kendall asked, turning to greet him.

"We were so worried." Nissa grabbed his arm.

"Yes." Janel almost sounded sarcastic. As though she wanted to blend in, "We saw you rescue that woman and the boy..."

"You were so brave." Nissa interjected, "And strong."

"I can't believe you just swept in and saved them." Kendall stared up at him with huge doe eyes.

Janel kept in step, but did not say anymore. She had a hard time paying compliments to others.

"What's wrong? You seem distracted, Prince." Nissa stepped in front of him.

That woman. Rude? Me? I saved her poor peasant life and that was all she had to say. Ungrateful. He grimaced, What about her? Speaking to the Prince in such an informal way. Who does she think she is? He had enough grounds to throw her in the dungeon for a night if he wished. As he toyed with the idea, Nissa tugged on his arm. The girls pulled him to the next stand. He remembered the impertinent look on her face. Those dark blue eyes, challenging him. Everything about her made him agitated, from the top of her golden head to the garb that she chose to wear. It was clear that she was not from Ilios, but if not, then where?

---

A maidservant led her down the grandiose palace halls. The walls were covered in light grey stone. White marble pillars with grey and gold veining imposed the hall. A navy carpet with a golden filigree grew at her feet like grass. The walls were covered with elegant tapestries and paintings of men and women in ostentatious outfits. The people here had very strange customs. Alyn had been sent to the other side of the palace, the attendant announcing to them that it was not proper for them to stay in the same part of the building. Instead, she was to stay with the other contestants.

"This is the wing where you ladies will be staying, My Lady." The maidservant directed her.

"Please, call me 'Miss' instead." Ellora knew it was not a sign of disgrace here, but she could not bring herself to feel comfortable with the title.

"Yes, Miss."

A tall slender girl with dark hair in an elaborate dark ruby dress leaned over to her friends, a brown haired beauty in a similar amethyst dress, and another brunette with honey colored skin in the same pale green dress. They stared at Ellora and whispered to each other behind their lace fans. The one in green adjusted her lace glove. Everything about them screamed elegance and grace, but their expressions and manner showed their true selves.

Ellora felt herself inadvertently stiffen as she walked by. She smiled to them, pushing down this awkward feeling. She figured she would try to make the best of it. They were all going to be living together for a while, "Hello."

The one in ruby raised a dark brow. Her nose seemed to be permanently raised. She nodded, which was the only response that Ellora got from any of them. The other two looked away quickly. It was easy to tell who was the leader of the small group.

"You will be sharing a room with Lady Ava and Lady River." The maid chatted away as they reached a set of light birch doors, "Lady Ava is from Sana. Her specialization is in Words. And Lady River is from Flora. Her specialization is in plants. Where were you from again, Miss Ellora?"

"The Southern Isles. I manipulate water." Ellora answered pleasantly. It was odd having a maid. On the Island they were always taught to serve and take care of the tribe. Therefore, they never had any use for maids or manservants.

"Yes, well, settle in and get to know your roommates. Miss Brooks will come for you when it is time for dinner and tonight there will be a ceremony for you to meet the King and the Prince." The doormen opened the doors. Inside was an even more elegant looking room with three fluffy, canopied beds. There were three sets of floor to ceiling windows and a balcony. Ellora was astounded by that grandeur of it all.

Two girls sat at a table sipping tea. They stood when she entered. One had strawberry blonde hair, straight and short to her chin. Her dress was a beautiful golden brown trimmed with golden lace, reminding Ellora of the girls in the hall. The other wore the same style in an emerald green with black lace. She had tanned skin and straight raven hair that fell halfway down her back.

They both curtsied an introduction.

"I am Ava." The one in brown smiled.

"I'm River." Said the one in green. She seemed timid.

"Ellora." She announced herself.

"Why don't you have some tea with us." Ava gestured to the empty chair across from her.

Ellora took the seat offered to her. River poured the smooth almost clear liquid into a fine china cup. Ellora could see the shadows of her fingers through it. It glowed like a pearl in the light. It was designed with a beautiful golden trimming across the top and the handle was dipped in gold as well. The saucer matching the trimming of the cup. She had never seen anything so beautiful or delicate that was manmade.

"Where are you from, Ellora?" Ava asked her, looking, like all the others at the clothes she was wearing.

"I'm from the Southern Isles."

"The Southern Isles? But they aren't even a part of the provinces." River exclaimed quietly. Her voice reminded Ellora of a morning dove, soft and gentle.

"Yes, well." She did not know how much she should reveal about why she was really here, "The King sent an invitation, so here I am." She took a sip of the tea. It was sweet and fragrant like a flower, and warming to her tastebuds. The cup clattered when she placed it on the saucer.

The others looked at her in surprise and disapproval.

"Sorry." She apologized reflexively. Apparently, she had committed some kind of faux pas, but she knew not what.

"Yes, I suppose that is how we all came here." Ava smiled kindly picking up the conversation, "What do you do in the Southern Isles?"

"My tribe does many things. We have exports to the Mainland, farmers, treasure hunters, fisherman, healers, and a few of our people were commissioned to do some stone carving for the water province on the Mainland last month.

Ava nodded. River placed her cup on the saucer flawless and elegant, "What is your power?"

"Um, I manipulate water." She took a small cake from the plate in front of her and raised it to her mouth, but before she could eat it, the girls peppered her with questions. All about where she grew up, what her power could do, why she dressed the way she dressed, who her family was, if she had ever met the prince before, and so forth.

Each question was followed up with a little information about each one of them. Ava had two sisters, one older and married, and the other younger. She had the ability to manipulate words, meaning that she could say certain spells and create things. Ellora quickly found out that the Word province had joined Ilios shortly after the Wind province. Sana was known for its many libraries and scholars. Their main expertise were actually scribes and advisors. Ava was very kind and knew a great deal about each province and their expertise.

River, although quiet was willing to carry on the conversation as well. Her skill was plants. She could grow them and bend them, make them stronger and weaker, sharper and softer. Also, she had made great strides in studying healing and poisons, the various plants for medicinal use. When Ellora mentioned springfruit, River couldn't help but tell her how they used it all the time in Flora and appreciated the imports from the Southern Isles. Most of the people in Flora specialized in plant sciences and using plants for medicine. The best doctors were rumored to have come from Flora.