Twenty-Five

Ellora collapsed into her bed. Dinner had tasted wonderful after her long day, but she was barely able to enjoy it because of the conversations and whom she had been seated next to. Janel had stayed silent for most of the meal and Gem and Citrine chatted irritatingly amongst themselves about how great Minerva was.

Sitting in the tight corset made her uncomfortable, her ribs screaming for relief. She stared at her sore knuckles, which had swollen even more.

River and Ava burst through the door.

"Ellora..." Ava inched toward her, "I thought that you had no interest in the Prince?"

River nodded anxiously.

Ellora bolted up. Her head lightened a little too quickly and it took a moment for her vision to return, "I'm not!"

"Then, why were you out riding with him today?"

Realization hit her, they were jealous, "I don't know how to ride a horse..." She said sheepishly, "The rest of you do. Even Tiara knows how to ride a horse. We don't even have the beasts on our island. All he did was teach me how." She shrugged.

River nodded, understanding. She found a spot on Ellora's cream down comforter.

But Ava needed some convincing, she stood over them fuming. Her finger wagging back and forth as though she were disciplining a child, "But you went off with him alone!"

"Ava, I swear, anything that I do or say is only to discuss my people with the Prince and the King. The less I have to converse with Nicola, the better. He is so arrogant." She looked at Ava, hoping to maintain their friendship.

Ava crossed her arms, "Fine."

Ellora rushed to the heavy wood door, opening it just a hair to see who was in the hall.

"What are you doing?" River asked.

"I must go see my brother." She answered, "Miss Brooks is not in the hall.

"That is because she has a cup of tea at this hour every night, just before she does her evening rounds." River stood absentmindedly.

Ellora crossed the room in an instant, grasping her hand, "What? You mean she won't be in the hall now?"

River looked down at her shocked. She was the tallest of the princesses, "No, why?"

"I'll be back. Please, please don't let her know I have left." She ran back to her bed and arranged the copious amounts of pillows to look like her sleeping.

Ava squinted, "Alright, but only on one condition..."

"What is that?" She stopped in her tracks.

"Talk us up to the Prince. Let him know how good, talented and beautiful we are." Ava flipped her hair and River nodded.

"Deal." It was the easiest she had ever made.

Ellora crept down the hall as quietly as she could, so that none of the other princesses would hear her. The last thing she needed was that gruesome trio tattling on her. She was about to go past the grand staircase when she heard Mrs. Brooks coming. She was speaking with the head manservant about the contestants, complaining mostly about Ellora and praising a particular few that included Ava, Nissa and Minerva. Ellora backed into a small inlet in the wall as they walked passed.

She quickly made her way past the grand staircase in the foyer and toward the wing where her brother was staying. When she finally made it into the hall, it was lined with gold and oaken doors, slightly more furnished than their wing. The pictures on the walls portrayed the monarchy. On the left were the kings and on the right were the queens. All of which looked severe and upset. One particular king looked exactly like Nicola, except with an eye patch. She lingered slightly longer than she should have.

"Lady Ellora!"

Her shoulders jumped to her ears as she turned on her heel to see Mrs. Brooks. Her face was red as a beet, eyes angrier than a hornet. Ellora backed up a step at her approach.

The tall lanky woman grabbed her wrist, with half a mind to beat her right then and there, "You were not in your room, and you have missed curfew! You will, therefore, pack your bags, and leave this place!"

Ellora dug in her heels, pulling back against the surprisingly strong woman, "No, please, Mrs. Brooks, I only came to see my brother..."

Mrs. Brook let go of her, making her fall backward, and simultaneously raised a cane to strike at Ellora.

She blocked the blow with her hands.

"Mrs. Brooks!!" Nicola's voice boomed from behind her.

The frazzled woman looked up. She straightened a few gray hairs that had come untamed in the fray and curtsied, "Your Highness,."

"What sort of ruckus is this..." Nicola continued.

She interrupted, "I am sorry, Your Highness, this maiden escaped curfew and came to this wing for I know not what. She is being dismissed directly." Her words flew quickly as she once again grabbed for Ellora to drag her out of the wing. Ellora grimaced at the way she had called her maiden.

Nicola raised a hand, "Enough, Mrs Brooks. It would do a servant well not to interrupt me." He helped Ellora off the ground and placed her protectively behind him, "You, Mrs. Brooks, should not be making such a ruckus. You will wake the whole castle, to be sure." His face was grim. His broad shoulders made it so Ellora had to peer around him to see the blazing woman.

Mrs. Brooks continued, "But, Your Highness, the princesses are not allowed in this wing!"

"You have served us many years. Do not have me cut it short. I expressly asked her to come here. Otherwise, she would not have had any reason to come." He rolled his eyes, making up a lie so that this ignorant girl would not have to face the full brunt of Mrs. Brook's wrath.

"But she said her brother..." Mrs. Brooks protested.

"Her brother is escorting us on a walk. It would not be proper for us to be alone at this point. You will remember your place and leave at once." Nicola did not actually want to fire Mrs. Brooks, but she was continuing to push. He only hoped that she would go now, so he would not have to make her go.

She curtsied, glared at Ellora, who glanced around the Prince's sleeve and turned to leave.