Sixty-Four

***3000 reads today!!! To say thankyou I am releasing another chapter. Thank you for your reads, comments, and votes, it all shows support <3***

Ellora deposited the book on her bed, and grabbed her warmest shawl out of the armoire. It was probably warm enough in the carriage that she would not want anything too heavy. She quickly made her way down the stairs, but when she stepped into the courtyard, it was not Cyrus's black carriage that greeted her, rather a trio of black horses.

Cyrus offered her an arm up.

She grimaced, "I will call for the carriage, the ride will be smoother."

He rolled his eyes, "A carriage is not suited for narrow roads and a village under construction. Since we are late, because you decided to dally in the library, horses will also be quicker."

Her face flushed to the most attractive shade of pink he had seen. Cyrus grew impatient. Ellora turned to call Philip, but before she could take two steps, she was swept up onto Cyrus's horse.

Ellora couldn't help but squirm, trying to maintain distance between him, "This really isn't necessary."

"Let's go see the damage you have wrought." Cyrus smiled, seeing the ashamed look on her face, it must have been a considerable amount of damage. There was something thrilling about going to gage the destruction this little girl was capable of. Before the little dove could say another word, he kicked his horse into a run, forcing her to grab onto his coat with one of her hands. She was holding so tight that her knuckles immediately turned white.

Ellora hugged her shawl tighter to herself. The crisp autumn air was cooler than she imagined it would be, and she was not dressed for the wind that came with a horseback ride. It wasn't long before she was trying her best to hold in her shivers. A warm black fur draped over her head and shoulders.

"Your shivering is annoying." Cyrus said without glancing at her. It wasn't that he had anything personally against the girl, in fact, he had the greatest admiration for her destructive power, but in order to get to Nicola, she was best used at arms length.

Ellora would have normally thrown it off of her if she had not been so cold. "Thanks." She offered in politeness.

As they came into town, Cyrus slowed the horse, his lackeys following close behind. The road had been completely rebuilt. People lined the streets. Rounding the corner, Ellora saw Lady Ambrosia and River in a tent, giving the people check ups, medicines and medical aid.

The harbor was nearly finished. Nicola beat the last nail into place with a hammer. He wiped the sweat from his brow, and looked up to see Ellora. Surprise and then a sharp look of anger crossed his face as he took in the sight before him. Ellora sitting snugly atop a horse with Lord Cyrus, wearing one of his furs. Fists clenched, he moved to help her down, "Miss Ellora, Lord Cyrus." She slid down the black stallion as he caught her.

Ellora took the fur and put it a top the horse where she had been, "Cyrus wanted to see the progress that his troops have made. We came to take a tour around the city."

"Yes, it seems your harbor was in shambles until my men came to help." Cyrus grinned in delight. Every time he mentioned it, the little dove flinched and the prince became more downcast.

"Well, we have just successfully completed the harbor. That and the washed out streets were our first priority. There is a ship that has been waiting to dock for days. The merchants will finally be able to get out of it." Nicola turned to Jude, "Start setting up a place for the merchants to get some food. They will be hungry when they get off those boats." Jude nodded and began directing his people in a flurry. Men and women flew to their duties efficiently setting up a pot with a hearty stew for the merchants coming off the boat.

Jude turned to Ellora, Nicola was leading Cyrus away, "Milady, you look surprised?"

Ellora had not realized that she was until it was said aloud, "Well, yes, Nicola took the care to think ahead about his people's needs. I thought he just liked to party and laugh."

Jude chuckled, "I have served his highness for over half his life. It is in his nature to care for those he feels a responsibility to. He takes great care of the men in his militia and also his sisters. I suppose that is where it all started, his sisters."

"Really?" Ellora looked up at the man, "I have not heard much about them. Would you tell me?"

"Miss, it is really not my place." Jude bowed, "And I have duties to attend to."

"Oh, yes," She curtsied awkwardly, "Of course. I am just being nosey. Excuse me." She stepped lightly to catch up with the gentlemen she was supposed to be accompanying. Instantly regretting it when Cyrus spoke.

"She really did a number on the whole place? Took out the whole port and half the town, eh?"

Nicola looked like he was about to deck Cyrus.

Ellora steeled herself for whatever was to come next, and choked out, "Yes, though not half the town... Thank you for sending aid. Without it, Ilios would be months more in all of the work that had to be done."

"I wouldn't say months..." Nicola muttered.

Ellora shot a glare back at him to silence him. He nodded his understanding.

Cyrus stood astounded, Ellora had humbled herself of her own free will, he had not seen that coming, "Well, then, uh, let's continue."