Chapter 20

Hi guys, so sorry for the delay. Apart from being busy, I had a bit of a blank when I started writing this chapter. It's done now though and I hope you enjoy.

***

“Good morning, Em,” Sam says, coming into the bedroom.

I look up from reading my book in bed and smile at him. He places a tray on my lap and sits next to me.

“Breakfast in bed for my adorable wife,” he says, leaning in to kiss me.

The kiss lingers and when we pull away, we stare into each other’s eyes. His are lust filled and I know exactly what he wants. Just as he’s about to lean in for another kiss, I hear a shriek and suddenly Lachlan jumps on the bed with a giggle.

Sam closes his eyes and mutters something under his breath. Then opening his eyes again, he winks at me and whispers, “Just you wait, I’ll have my wicked way with you soon.”

“Be my guest,” I whisper back.

His eyes widen at this comment and he swallows roughly, his Adam’s apple bobbing as he does so.

“Mummy food,” Lachlan shrieks, eyeing off my bacon greedily.

“It’s special food for special Mummy’s,” Sam says, lifting Lachlan off the bed. “Little boys have special food too. Do you want some?”

Lachlan nods and they walk out, Sam turning back once to blow me a kiss then he walks away.

The next thing I know I’m in hospital, sweat pouring down my face as I push for what feels like the millionth time.

“You can do it, Em,” Sam says beside me, holding onto my hand tightly.

As another contraction hits, I squeeze his hand and cry out, “I hate you!”

Sam just chuckles beside me and places a kiss on my sweaty forehead. “I love you too and I’m very glad to be having another baby with you.”

Damn him, how does he manage to make my feel like the most amazing woman on earth even when I’m sweaty and angry while giving birth? God I love this man.

“One more push, Emily,” the doctor says. When he pokes his head up I notice he doesn’t have a face but his voice sounds familiar.

When another contraction hits, I push with all my might and suddenly the room fills with the scream of a newborn baby. I flop back on the pillow, totally spent and close my eyes. Everything suddenly goes quiet though and when I open them again I’m at home.

Standing from the couch, I look around and notice the house is empty apart from the couch. Confused, I walk into Lachlan’s room and find his room is just as empty apart from a cot. Even more confused I walk around the house and notice all other rooms are empty.

Where is everyone? When I try to speak I can’t say anything. Fear suddenly envelops me and I’m finding it hard to breathe. Then a high pitched noise fills the air. Covering my ears, I run outside but the further I get away from the house, the louder the noise gets.

“What’s going on?” I scream.

As I look around I notice the whole street is empty. There are no cars and the houses are dilapidated. As the noise grows louder, I feel myself being shoved by someone. Stumbling back, I look around but don’t see anyone. Who pushed me? I’m petrified by this point and I’m screaming out for help but no one is around.