Chapter 13

Hi guys! I can't believe I updated in just over a week. Go me! ;) I have a really busy week at work next week though so no promises on when my next update will be. I'll try for a week but I may be late. I will update but I need to find some time to write first. I've never done Simon's POV before so this is new. I hope you enjoy. xx

***

Simon’s POV

After Emily leaves the room, a nurse comes in a few minutes later saying we need to leave as they’re about to conduct some tests on Sam.

We do as we’re told but as we pile out of the room, I look around for Emily and can’t see her anywhere. Where has she gone? Looking across to Dani who is rocking a grisly Leo in her arms, I say, “Let’s go out the front and wait for Emily there. Once she comes back and realises we’re not here, she’ll know to come out.”

Dani nods and we start walking. Feeling a tug on my arm, I look down and see Lachlan digging his feet into the floor and staring back at Sam’s room.

“Daddy,” he whimpers, looking up at me then pointing at the room.

“We’ll come back soon,” I say. “He needs to rest for a while.”

“Stay with Daddy,” he says determinedly.

I let go of his hand only to crouch in front of him. “Lachie, you can’t stay buddy. Daddy needs to sleep. How about we find Mummy? She’ll bring you back another time?”

Lachlan scrunches his brows together then after a moment looks back at the room then back at me again. “Mummy?” he questions.

“Yes, we’ll go find her. You ready?” I stand up and hold my hand out to him again.

He looks at it warily but after a moment he finally grabs it and we walk off. We just turn a corner when Doctor Nelson turns another and is heading for us. His brow is etched in concern and he seems to be walking with a purpose.

“Everything okay, doc?” I can’t help asking.

He stops in his tracks and looks at me, blinking a couple of times in confusion.

“Oh,” he blithers, “I was just…you know Mrs Wilson, right?”

Does he not even remember I’m Emily’s brother? What an airhead.

“She’s my sister,” I say, raising an eyebrow.

He shakes his head and gives me a small smile. “Yes, yes I knew that, sorry. It’s just…” he trails off and looks behind him. He turns back then looks from me to Lachlan to Dani then back to me again.

What’s wrong with him? I’ve only met him once but even then he came across very professional. Something doesn’t seem right. My heart drops as I fear the worst.

In a quiet voice I ask, “Is Sam okay?”

Doctor Nelson’s eyes widen and he nods quickly. “Oh yes, he’s fine…well as fine as he can be in his condition. Look…” he leans in and in a whisper he says, “I don’t want to scare the boy. But…it seems Mrs Wilson is being arrested by the police. I was just passing the entrance as I came back from emergency and I saw some police cars out the front. When I poked my head out I noticed it was her.”

Startled, I jump back and stare at him in shock. Emily’s being arrested by the police? Emily? What the—

Calm, Sam. Don’t scare Lachlan.

“Oh,” I say, my voice shaking slightly. “Uh…okay, I’ll…” I shake my head to try and rid the confusion. “I’ll check it out.”

Without even thinking, I offer Dani a tight smile and walk off.