Chapter 16

Hi guys! I can't believe it's been less than a week and I'm updating! I hope you enjoy! <3

***

I look at Sam expectantly, waiting for a reaction. I’ve just spent the past hour telling him about the accident and things that have happened since.

“Well?” I persist impatiently. “Do you remember anything?”

Sam blinks a couple of times as though in a daze then shakes his head. I release the breath I don’t realise I’ve been holding and let my shoulders slump forward. Of course it would be too good to be true. One part of me was hopeful telling him about it would trigger something but it didn’t.

“I’m sorry,” he says softly. “I just draw a blank.”

I look back up at him and give him a weak smile. “It’s okay.”

He shakes his head vigorously. “No it’s not okay. You’re being charged for something you didn’t do. It’s not okay that I can’t remember.” He frowns and I can tell he’s trying to think again.

“Please don’t worry.” I reach out and caress his cheek. “Dad sounded pretty positive on the phone. Yes you’re statement would help but if he can get phone recordings and the like it’s going to help.”

Sam leans in to my hand and smiles sadly. “I just wish I could remember.” He shakes his head. “I can’t believe you’ve been through all that.” He takes my hand in his then brings it up to his mouth and kisses it. “I’m so sorry, Em.”

“You don’t have to be sorry, Sam. We’ll get through this somehow.” I’m not confident of this. Deep down I’m petrified everything is going to backfire and I’m still going to end up in jail but I’m not about to tell Sam this. He’s got his own worries right now. “I’m just glad you’re awake so you can stop me from going insane.”

Sam smiles then leans in to kiss me. “I’ll do my best. So when do I get to meet this supposed son of mine?”

He winks and I gasp, faking hurt. “Supposed? What are you implying, Mr Wilson?”

“I’m implying that the milkman might have been busy the year you conceived. I wasn’t always home when you were, remember?”

“You dirty man,” I exclaim, slapping his arm playfully. “Sorry but the milkman isn’t as well-endowed as you.” I smile at him flirtatiously and Sam’s cheeks redden.

I mentally slap my hand to my forehead. I keep forgetting that Sam only remembers up to our first night together. He doesn’t remember I’ve seen Sam Junior many more times since.

“You’ve turned into quite the hussy I see?” he says with a smirk.

“If I have it’s because of you.”

He gasps then grabs me so quickly I’m caught off guard. He’s gained his strength and quick reflexes back very quickly. Suddenly he’s grabbed me around the waist and has pulled me to him and his lips capture mine in a sweet, passionate kiss. A flame ignites within me and I groan in pleasure. Sam deepens the kiss and his hand sneaks under my shirt, touching bare skin. I gasp from the electric sensation he causes and it takes all my willpower not to rip every bit of our clothing off.

It’s only when someone clears their throat that we pull away. My head is spinning from the kiss and I giggle. I look at the door and see Doctor Nelson glaring at us. He doesn’t look impressed. Is it because it’s against hospital protocol? Or is it because he’s jealous? Not that I care of course.

When my eyes meet his, I give him the sweetest smile I can muster. It’s a smile that says I’ve just been kissed silly by my husband. He scowls and his gaze flicks to Sam.