Chapter 25

An update in less than a week? Yep I just did it! Enjoy! :)

***

"Are you sure you don't want to stay with us?" Mum asks for what feels like the millionth time.

I glance around the hospital room and once I'm satisfied I've left nothing behind, I turn back to the bed and zip up the bag. Looking at Mum I say, "I appreciate your concern, Mum but I'll be fine living in the house with Lachlan. We both need to learn to adapt. I know it's not going to be easy but we need to do this."

Mum's face is crossed with anxiety and she's looking slightly panicked. Yep it's that time. I'm going home. To say I'm not petrified would be a lie. I really am. I've decided to plunge headfirst into normality and that means living in the same house. It's going to be hard and I have no idea how Lachlan will adapt but I feel I need to try. Mum is understandably worried but I'm trying to convince her that I'll be fine.

I know she's more worried about me doing something stupid again but she won't come outright and say it. The truth is, I've learnt from that stupid mistake. I was at my lowest then and I don't intend to get that low again. I've got a son to look after and I need to look after myself now that there's another child growing inside me.

Sighing, I turn to Mum and embrace her. "I understand you're worried," I say once we've pulled away. "But you have to trust me. I'm not going to do anything stupid."

"Emily, I wasn't implying—"

I cut her off. "You didn't imply it but I know that's what you're thinking. It's what everyone is thinking and I don't hold that against anyone. Yes I'm still hurting, I'm not going to deny that. I still miss Sam like crazy and most nights I cry myself to sleep. But I'm a realist and I know I can't pine after him forever. Crying and living a miserable life isn't going to bring him back. I've got a child growing inside me and it deserves a life. I'm not going to rip that away from him or her."

I sit on the side of the bed and sigh. Mum sits next to me and places her arm across my shoulders. She looks at me and gives me a sad smile. "I'm sorry, Emily. I wasn't intending to imply anything. I know you're going to do your best to give that baby a life. I don't doubt that at all." She squeezes my shoulder then adds, "Just know you won't have to do everything alone. We'll always be here for you."

Resting my head on her shoulder, I sigh happily. "I know, thanks Mum. And this confirms why I need to do this. Lachlan and I need to get back on our feet before the baby comes. If we don't adapt then I need to figure out what to do quickly. I want to be at least leading a semi normal life when it's born."

Mum begins stroking my hair and I let my eyes flutter close, just enjoying the closeness between Mum and me. I swear we've grown closer since Sam's death. I like it.

"I understand," Mum says softly. "Just remember you're always welcome to stay if you need to and we're always willing to look after Lachlan."

I open my eyes then move away from Mum, smiling at her. "Thanks, Mum, that really means a lot." Glancing around the room once more, I swallow nervously then stand from the bed. "Well, I guess it's time to go. I'm ready now."

Mum stands too but before we can say or do anything, Lachlan comes running into the room with Dad not far behind.

"Mummy!" Lachlan cries, wrapping himself around my legs.

I pick him up and his arms wrap around my neck in a hug. "Hey, Lachie. You ready to go home?" I ask.

He pulls away and beams at me, nodding his head vigorously. "Mummy go home." He frowns slightly then adds, "Daddy too?"