Chapter 18

Hi guys! Less than a week and a new update. Go me! I'm back at work on Monday but I'm hoping I can update again before then. I'm not sure but I'll do my best. Either way happy reading!

***

I wake up and roll over. When I find myself staring into the face of the man I love, a smile graces my lips. He’s finally home…and so am I. Yes that’s right, I’m no longer on house arrest! The case isn’t over but the suspicion is finally off me. Dad not only cleared my name but he had enough evidence to suspect Henry who is now in custody. He has been charged for attempted murder and the court case is in a couple of months.

I’m worried though. It all seems too easy…it’s like school all over again. It’s too simple and I can’t help but worry that something else is going to go wrong. It might seem I’m freaking out and being paranoid like I have a habit of doing but something feels off. It’s that usual feeling in the pit of my stomach, the one I’ve always trusted. I just don’t know what it is.

For now though I just want to enjoy the little bit of normality I have in my life. I say a little because things with Nancy are still up in the air. Jason sends me messages each day with how she’s doing and let’s just say she’s not getting any better. Mrs Jones promised to visit at some point but didn’t give me a timeframe. I know her though and she prefers to catch people out so I’m presuming she’s going to turn up when we least expect it. I want to feel sorry for Nancy but I can’t. She needs help and I want my friend back.

The door suddenly bursts open followed by a squeal of delight. Seconds later Lachlan jumps on the bed grinning widely, his eyes shining brightly. To say he’s excited about being home and being with Sam is an understatement.

I sit up and gesture for him to come to me. He crawls across the bed and settles in my lap. I look at Sam who hasn’t even stirred and whisper, “You want to wake Daddy?”

Lachlan’s eyes light up and he nods. He leans over and uses his chubby hand to tickle Sam’s cheek.

“Wake up Daddy,” he whispers.

Sam flinches and stirs but doesn’t immediately wake up. Lachlan giggles and tickles a little more. Suddenly Sam’s eyes spring open and he hisses like a cat, making Lachlan scream then giggle in delight.

“Daddy scare me!” Lachlan cries.

Suddenly Sam grabs Lachlan and drags him across the bed so he’s on Sam’s lap.

“That’s what you get for tickling me,” he says with a laugh as he digs his fingers in Lachlan’s ribs and tickles.

Lachlan squirms and giggles but somehow manages to writhe free. He jumps off the bed and runs out of the room. Sam turns to me and smiles. My heart does a little flop and I smile back. It still feels so surreal that he’s here. He leans in to kiss me, his hand coming up to my neck and caressing it gently.

“Good morning,” he whispers when we pull away.

My lips tingle from his touch and I keep my eyes closed as I savour the moment. If I’ve learnt one thing form Sam’s accident it’s not to take anything for granted. I’m making more of an effort to remember and savour everything.

“Good morning to you,” I answer, my eyes fluttering open and meeting his blue ones.

“I could get used to waking up beside you every morning.”

“Well you’d better because we’re married, remember?”

He shakes his head in disbelief but the smile never leaves his face. When Lachlan comes running into our room again begging to be fed, Sam gets up and I stay in bed a while longer, thinking things through.