Chapter 19

Hi guys, I'm very sorry for the delay. I had hoped to update before I went back to work but it didn't happen. With my Grandad passing away and then returning to work, time has just been ripped away from me. Here is a nice long update for you. Happy reading <3

***

The moment I hear the ambulance sirens outside, I pick up a hysterical Lachlan and rush to the door to let them in. They throw what feels like a thousand questions at me about his condition and I answer the best I can. I watch, frozen as two ambulance officers rush to his side and start working. I can’t even focus on what they’re doing. I’m too busy trying to stay calm for my son but let me tell you, it’s damn hard.

“Mummy,” Lachlan cries in my ear, wrapping his arms around my neck and burying his head in my shoulder.

“Shhh,” I sooth, swaying from side to side in a soothing motion and rubbing his back. “It’ll be okay, sweetie.” Yet even as I speak the words I can feel a knot of dread forming in the pit of my stomach.

“Please be okay,” I whisper then place a kiss on Lachlan’s forehead.

Then suddenly I hear the words that send a chill down the length of my spine. “We’re losing him.”

And then I break down. I can’t control my tears any longer. I hold Lachlan tighter and we cry together. I can’t tear my eyes away from the dramatic scene before me. One officer is fervently conducting CPR on Sam while the other is doing something. God I don’t even know. All I know is my husband is on the floor and right his second he’s almost dead. If he dies…oh god. I can’t even think about it. This thought alone has me turning away, unable to watch anymore.

“Mummy,” Lachlan cries again, his little hands holding onto me for dear life.

“It’ll be okay,” I whisper. Although right now I’m not sure I mean it.

“Emily? What’s going—?” I look up to see Mum walk through the door. Then she sees Sam and her hand flies up to her mouth in surprise. “Oh my god.” She looks up at me and Lachlan then rushes over. “What’s wrong? Is Sam okay?”

I shrug and burst into tears. Mum pulls me into her arms and embraces me tightly. Lachlan decides to let go of me at this point but instead he goes to Mum. She takes him and sits down. I look across at the ambulance workers who now have Sam on a stretcher. When I see he has an oxygen mask over his nose and mouth, a spark of hope shoots through me.

As they start to leave I ask, “Is he okay?”

One of them looks at me with a long face and shakes his head. “I’m sorry ma’am, it’s touch and go right now. We’ve revived him but we must get him to emergency immediately.”

Then suddenly they’re bustling out the door without another word. Tears stream down my cheeks as I follow them out and watch them put Sam in the back. One of the ambulance workers goes in after him while the other jumps in the drivers’ seat. The siren blares as it drives away and suddenly I hear a scream. Turning back I see Lachlan with his ears covered, screaming his little heart out while tears stream down his cheek.

God damn it. Now the poor kid is petrified of sirens. I sit next to him and scoop him into my arms. He holds onto me for dear life and for a long while no one speaks. I can’t stop looking at the patch of floor where he fell. There are too many memories going around in my mind of that fateful day.

I look across at Mum and she’s staring at the same spot as me, her face drawn and pale. Sam may only be her son-in-law but she views him as a son so I know how badly this is affecting her.

I’m not sure how much time passes. It feels like hours but I can’t be sure. When I finally become aware of the silence, I look down and see Lachlan fast asleep in my arms.  His eyes are puffy and his cheeks are red and tear stained. Yet somehow he still looks so peaceful. I gently move his hair away from his forehead and place a gentle kiss on it.