Prologue

^^^^

Dedicated to @EurekaEureka for the cover. It's amazing, thank you so much!

***

Life wasn’t meant to be like this.

Our relationship didn’t start off so well. You know the story already. We had rocky times, plenty of them, yet we fought through every single one of them. We came out the other side happier and stronger than ever. We started a family, albeit unexpectedly. But we were prepared for it and everything was so good.

We were happy, carefree and excited at the new life ahead of us. For the first couple of years, life was great. We were great.

Then he happened. The man…no the monster who turned everything upside down and ruined our lives. And you know what? It was my fault. I know what you’re going to say. You can’t blame yourself. Well in this case I can and I will. Why? Because I know this person. It’s because of my past mistake that we’re in this mess now.

As I stare at Sam lying unconscious, lifeless, on the hospital bed, fear grips my entire being. My heart aches and tears burn my eyes but I don’t cry. I need to stay strong. If not for Sam, for Lachlan…our son. He’s everything to me, to us.

I tear my eyes away from Sam and look across at Lachlan. He’s sitting on the other side of the bed, his little hand gripping his father’s for dear life. The image tears at my heart strings. He looks up at me and our eyes meet. His big blue eyes, just like his father’s, are full of tears. One big, fat one drips down his cheek. But it’s gone just as quickly when he wipes it away with the back of his free hand. Then he smiles at me a big beaming smile.

Despite the situation we’re in, I can’t help but be uplifted by this. Children are always able to put on a bright smile, even when things are dire. Two seconds earlier he was on the verge of tears, now he’s grinning like there’s no tomorrow. This amazing little boy is our son. If anyone is going to get Sam out of this, it will be him.

I can’t lose Sam. I just can’t. He’s everything to us. I don’t know where our life is heading. I don’t know if Sam will survive. But if there is one thing I know, it’s this: I will fight for justice. The monster who did this will pay. I will correct past wrongs once and for all if it’s the last thing I do.

Let me tell you the story from the beginning...

***

Hi guys and welcome to book three! This is the third and final book of 'The Price of Love' series. Thank you for your support so far. This chapter is just a teaser for now. I don't intend to update again for a few weeks. I will be posting more in early 2014, probably mid to late January.

In the meantime, please tell me what you think and whether I should continue with this.

If you enjoyed, please vote, comment, fan. You know the drill. :)