Chapter 5

Hi guys, sorry for the delay and sorry this is a short chapter. BUT I promise I will make it up to you in the next chapter. All the exictement will begin then. :D Happy reading!

****

Once I’m away from our meeting spot, I find a bench and sit down for a few minutes. I need to think about what just happened. I can’t help it, I’m petrified. Of course I don’t want anything to happen to my family.  But at the same time I don’t want Henry to think he’s got control over me. He did three years ago and I totally lost the plot but I’m not going to let that happen again. This time I’m determined to believe it’s just an empty threat.

Maybe he won’t even do anything, I mean he’s just angry for being kicked out of Uni. I’m sure in time it’ll blow over and I would have worried over nothing. I really can’t confess what happened back then. It would most likely get me kicked out of Uni and Sam could lose his job. Or worse still…jailed! Yes I know it’s been three years but it’s the fact it happened. We may have only kissed that once—oh okay, twice—but it’s still enough to get us both into a lot of trouble.

Checking the time and noticing it’s going on for four thirty, I stand up and start my walk back home. My thoughts are still occupied with this situation and I’m beginning to feel really uptight. This is exactly what Henry wants, isn’t it? He wants me to freak out and confess. It’s not going to happen!

Once I’m on the path, I groan in frustration and stomp my feet a couple of times. God what a mess this has turned into. How can so much have changed in three weeks? Suddenly Sam and Lachlan are under threat from a school nemesis. My life is officially a soap opera. This sort of thing doesn’t happen to normal people. It seems like it’s only me who manages to not only fall in love with my teacher but also attract psychos like Henry along the way who, three years later, want to ruin me and my family.

What do I do? Should I go to the police and tell them Henry is stalking me? Should I confess once and for all to keep him happy? Why can’t someone tell me what to do?

I stop walking and cradle my head in my hands, using my fingers to grip and pull at my hair in frustration. It’s not fair. I just want a happy and quiet life with Sam, Lachlan and any other children we may decide to have. We made one little mistake, is that so bad? It’s not like we had sex while we were student and teacher. I just want to be left alone.

When a tear slides down my cheek I let go of my hair and wipe it away in anger.

You need to stop freaking out, Emily. It’s just an empty threat.

Is Barbara, my annoying inner self, right? Am I right? Is it just an empty threat? Can I just ignore it? I start walking again and focus on clearing my mind in the hope it’ll help me make the right decision. When I’m half way home my body feels heavy from the stress but I feel a little less freaked out. After taking a deep breath I come to a decision. Yes it is just an empty threat and I’m not going to let it bother me.

Henry is a bitter idiot who can’t let go of the past. What can he possibly do? Worst case scenario, if Henry does report me then I can just say he lied, right? I’ll accuse him of being delusional and tell them of what happened in school. They will always believe me over him. See? This is going to be fine. Henry will be a stranger before I know it.

Turning the corner onto our street, I slow my walk to a stop and take a deep breath. A sense of calm descends up on me as I realise everything will be fine. I’ll act normal, pretend as though nothing is going on and in a few days everything will be back to normal again.

With a smile from ear to ear and finally feeling calm about this situation, I start walking again. When I approach the house, excitement builds up inside me. I always get excited about seeing Sam again after a day at work.

I reach out to open the door when my phone beeps. Retracting my hand again, I remove it and see a message from Henry.

I slide my finger across the screen and read his message.

If you don’t come clean in 24 hours I’m taking matters into my own hands.

A wave of fear runs through me, making my heart turn to ice. For a couple of terrifying seconds I feel petrified and my whole body is shaking from fear.

No one threatens my family and gets away with it!

But then I remind myself of the conclusion I’ve come to. Henry may be bitter and angry but I’m certain he’s not capable of doing anything other than reporting us again and I already have a plan for that. I take another deep breath and the feeling passes. Everything is fine. I type back a quick reply.

Get a life, Henry. Your threats mean nothing to me.

The moment I press send, fear tries to bubble up again but I push it aside. I’m not letting Henry win.

Henry’s reply comes through immediately.

They should.

I roll my eyes and sigh in exasperation. He’s still as annoying as ever. In frustration I type a one word response.

Whatever.

His next message, which is immediate once again, almost makes me laugh.

Are you waiving the 24 hours I’m giving you?

Oh my god, what an idiot! I giggle quietly as I type my reply.

What are you? Some bigwig businessman? Fine if we’re being professional here then yes I ‘waive’ the 24 hours you gave me. I don’t need it, Henry. I’m not confessing anything.

I’m about to put my phone away when I see he’s typing a response so I decide to wait. Seconds later it appears.

That’s your choice, Emily. Don’t say I didn’t give you a chance.

Pfft what an idiot. He thinks he’s scaring me but he’s not, not anymore. I type one last response.

I won’t. Now leave me and my family alone. Goodbye Henry.

I delete the history of our conversation then put my phone away. The sooner I forget about Henry, the better.

An unsettled feeling sits on the bottom of my stomach and in the back of my mind I’m still scared. I’m worried I’m taking this too lightly, that maybe Henry is capable of more than just reporting us. I don’t know what he’s capable of but it’s the simple ‘what if’ that’s scaring me.

This is exactly what Henry wants you to feel, Emily. Don’t let him get to you.

For once my stupid inner self is right. So shaking my head I turn the doorhandle and push on the door. The moment it opens my worries disappear. It’s as Sam embraces me in a loving hug and Lachlan runs up to me grabbing hold of my legs for dear life that I realise no one can take away what we have, not even Henry.

Whatever happens I will always fight for my family. Henry has underestimated me. I’m not the same Emily anymore. I’m a wife and I’m a mother. I’ve got even more balls than I did in school, it’s called maternal instinct. That instinct will kick in the moment anyone tries to lay a finger on anyone close to me.

Bring it on Henry, I’d like to see you try and rip my family away from me.

****

Did you enjoy this? If so please vote, comment, fan.