Chapter 26

Hi guys, I'm on a bit of a roll with this story so here is another chapter. I hope you enjoy. You know the drill. :)

Dedicated to @AnaMardale - thanks for picking up the errors in my last chapter. I've fixed them now but appreciate you pointing them out.

***

"Mummy!"

Sitting bolt upright in bed, my heart pounds against my ribcage as I listen intently. Was it just a dream? When I hear nothing, I push the covers back and slide out of bed. I silently tiptoe to Lachlan's room and slowly open the door. I peek inside and see him curled up in a ball on his bed. He looks perfectly fine. Maybe it was just a dream.

Just as I close the door and turn to walk away, I hear it again. "Mummy!"

Turning back again, I go back into Lachlan's room again and this time he's turned over and is facing the door. Tears are streaked down his face and his brow is furrowed in worry. I go across and sit on the bed then gently shake his shoulder. I don't want to wake him too suddenly but I can't bear to him so upset either.

"Lachie," I whisper, shaking his shoulder again. "Wake up sweetie, Mummy's here."

Lachlan starts flailing about and it takes a few more attempts before he properly wakes up. He blinks a couple of times then when he's fully awake he lunges for me and I wrap my arms around him as he sobs.

"It's okay," I whisper as I stroke his hair, "I'm here, Lachie. Did you have a nightmare?"

He doesn't look up but I see him nod. I close my eyes and release a heavy breath. He's been having nightmares since we got home a week earlier. Surprisingly I've adapted well to being home. I think having locked myself in here for days on end helped me to adapt quicker. Sadly I can't say the same for Lachlan. His nightmares are the same every night.

"About Daddy?" I persist.

Another nod.

I sigh and lean down to kiss the top of his head. What the hell am I supposed to do? He's reliving the day Sam collapsed. The last day Lachlan saw him alive. I should have known he would be traumatised by it. I suppose I held onto the hope that he was okay. Mum didn't tell me of any nightmares and Simon hadn't noticed them either. But I realise now it's being back in the house that's causing them.

"Want Daddy," Lachlan whispers, his hands gripping my arm tightly as he continues to cry. "Miss Daddy," he adds.

The tears I've spent the last week trying to hold back come flooding forth and there's no stopping them. I've tried to be strong and I've been doing well but I'm at my wits end. Seven nights of nightmares, seven nights of broken sleeps, six days of Lachlan being off colour because of his broken sleep. It's too much for us. What am I supposed to do?

"How about some warm milk and a movie?" I ask as I stroke his hair. This is the only thing that settles him after his nightmares.

I hate using television as a babysitter but right now I don't know what else to do. Lachlan looks up at me, his eyes shining with tears and he nods. When I go to stand, Lachlan wraps his arms around my neck. As I stand, I hold onto him and walk out with him grasping me tightly.

This has become such a routine now. Once he's woken from his nightmare, he'll cling onto me for a good half an hour only letting go once he's finished his milk and the movie has started. So I go to the kitchen and prepare his milk while holding onto him tightly. Lachlan has his head resting on my shoulder. He's sniffling softly and his little body jumps every time he hiccups as he comes down from his crying episode.

A few minutes later I sit on the sofa and position Lachlan so he's on my lap holding his milk bottle. He's let go of me but he won't move from my lap. Turning the TV on, I turn to the DVD channel and press play on the DVD player. When The Wiggles flash up on the screen, I watch as Lachlan's frown turns into a smile. His eyes are glued to the TV and he's sitting back against me as he drinks his bottle. The entire time all I do is hold him tightly and gently stroke his hair.