Chapter 12

Hi guys, here's what you've been waiting for. Working full time sucks, sorryfor the delay. Just remember, no matter how long iti takes me to update I will always finish a story. :) Enjoy! <3

***

Resting my head on the wooden desk, I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I don’t know how long it’s been since I left the hospital but it feels like hours. I’m over it.

I’ve been interrogated but apart from stating my innocence I’ve refused to answer any questions. If Dad has drummed anything into me while growing up, it’s to not answer any questions until I have a lawyer present.

Unfortunately in my case this has made them believe I’m guilty but I’ve continued to firmly state I’m innocent. I know I am, it’s just a matter of finding a way to prove it to them.

When I hear the click of the lock, I sit up straight and stare at the door. My stomach drops as I fear another interrogation session. But when it swings open and Dad steps through, I gasp in surprise and jump up. Oh my god! He’s a lawyer, he can help me!

The door closes behind him then he turns to look at me. The first thing I notice is his tired and stressed eyes. Yet despite this, he still manages a small smile. I jump up from the chair and run into his arms. I’m so relieved to see him.

His embrace is warm and comforting and I burst into tears. I know I should be strong but I have no strength anymore. All I want is someone to believe me and up until now, no one has. Surely Dad will.

“I didn’t do anything,” I sob into his chest. “I promise, this is just one big cock up. I didn’t hurt my husband. You believe me don’t you?”

Pulling away, I look up at him expectantly.

“Of course I believe you,” he says, wiping my tears away with his thumbs. “But we have to figure out a way to prove it. I’m here to represent you. You haven’t answered any questions have you?”

My heart leaps and I smile through my tears. I have never been so happy that Dad is a lawyer.

“No,” I say then pull away and sit down. “They tried to question me but I refused to answer.”

Dad sits next to me and removes a notepad and pen from the briefcase he’s carrying.

“Good,” he says, removing his glasses from his shirt pocket and placing them on his nose. “Now, I want you to tell me everything from the beginning.” He looks at me sternly over his glasses. “Including what happened in high school. Your mother told me briefly but I need to hear it from you.”

I swallow nervously and nod. I wish so damn much that Sam and I had done things so differently in school. At the time it seemed so innocent…so easy. I should have known it was all too good to be true.

So taking a deep breath, I do just that. Dad scribbles vigorously as I speak and I tell him every nitty gritty detail up to seeing Henry today. When I’m done talking I slump back in my seat and sigh. My god, what a story. It sounds like an episode out of Home and Away.

Once Dad has finished writing, he places his pen on the paper and turns to look at me. He has one of those frowns on his face that says bad news. My stomach drops and my heart rate suddenly picks up. This can’t be good.

“Without any evidence, Emily,” he says sternly, “there is very little we can do. We have a plausible confession—” I open my mouth to respond but dad quickly adds, “—even if it wasn’t a direct confession. It’s still enough to pin you to it.”