t h i r t y - t h r e e

▪ ▪ ▪

"so you're cheating on me?"

he asked, his green eyes flaring with the same terrifying anger will was so used to.

there he was. standing in front of them, feet embedded in the sand, a bouquet of flowers in his hand- the one not clenched tightly into a fist. tyler brady green, sent by that cosmic being in the universe that couldn't seem to let will be happy for a single second. tyler brady green, the boy who couldn't be exiled- not even with a kick to the nuts.

will couldn't speak. he couldn't do anything but stand there, legs shaking, and try hard not to cry. why couldn't he get rid of him? why couldn't tyler just leave him alone, why did he ruin this perfect moment with mike? why did he have to be so scared- so, so, so scared, too scared to even run? 

"i think you should leave now, man," mike said. 

mike.

will didn't like needing someone to protect him. he didn't want to be the kind of guy who needed a strong man to stand behind, who couldn't face anything on his own. he was joyce byers son, he should be strong. he was strong, he went through much shit this should be almost a breeze.

but at this moment, he just couldn't. he felt himself crumbling, even his back seemed to sink lower as he turned to nothing.

because that's how tyler made him feel. like he was nothing, and because of this nothing he needed mike. because he just couldn't do it alone. not anymore. not right now.

"i wasn't talking to you, wheeler. i was talking to my boyfrie-" tyler started, shifting his blazing eyes to mike for a single second before sinking them back to stare at will, like a hawk ogling its pray. 

mike didn't seem phazed. he didn't even let him finish his sentence.

"i think he made it very clear that he's not your boyfriend anymore. and if he didn't, i'm doing it now. you're over, tyler. now get the fuck out of here, before i call the cops."

tyler ignored him, his eyes fixed on will.
"will, babe, i brought you these," he said, shoving the bouquet slightly towards him, "i'm sorry. just come with me, and we can we talk about this."

will didn't move, he couldn't, he could barely stand to stay upright- but mike did. removing his hand from will's shoulder lightly, he moved to stand in front of will.

 blocking him from tyler's reach, and helping his knees stop shaking quite so horribly.

"i said," mike hissed, his voice dangerous, "he doesn't want to be your boyfriend anymore. now, leave."

"and i said," tyler said, his voice quivering with just as much danger, "i'm not talking to you, wheeler."

the two boys in front of will just continued to stand, locked in a sort of silent battle. it was ridiculous, very ridiculous- two teenagers stuck in this weird staring contest in the middle of the beach. it probably looked almost funny for an outside viewer, but will was scared.

not for him, not anymore- but for mike.

mike was almost a head taller than than tyler, but tyler... will knew what tyler could do. he was wider, more heavily built-