t w e n t y

▪ ▪ ▪ 

"so, what are we doing tonight?" max asked as she closed the door behind the last customer. 

will, standing across the room with his back towards the door and carefully drying the plates he had just watched, straightened up a little with excitement. it was instinctive: a night out with jane and max just sounded so perfect. 

the morning with tyler, the weird anxiety that had washed over him, hadn't quite left his mind the entire day. no matter how much he tried to convince himself that it was all in his head, that queasy feeling just didn't leave his stomach... so a night without tyler, a night to talk to  jane and max and have them helping him sort everything out, a night for himself and his friends seemed so necessary. 

but then he turned around, and realized max hadn't been talking to him at all. she was already standing behind her girlfriend, hugging her waist and lying her head on her shoulder as she waited for a response. jane was holding on to a broomstick with one hand and running her hand against max's fiery hair, looking deep in thought.

"umm, pizza and a movie? we have portrait of a lady on fire on the dvr..." she offered.

"but is it-" max started, but jane rolled her eyes with a slight smile and answered her question before she even asked it:

"it's very gay, max. 1700's lesbians." 

max straightened up, keeping her hands across jane's waist, and nodded thoughtfully. 
"okay, i'm in," she said.

jane laughed, kissing her cheek- and will was just there, just watching, feeling very awkward and kind of embarrassed. of course she hadn't been talking to him- of course she wanted to spend some time with her girlfriend!

and he should be glad. he should be glad he would get to spend the evening with his boyfriend- this strange anxiety in his gut was just that, anxiety. he was glad. he was.

"you guys should go ahead, i'll finish up," he offered, and they both turned to him- like they had just remembered he was in the room. jane opened her mouth to argue, but will smiled and started again before she had a chance.
"there's barely anything to do anyways, and that movie is super long. i really don't mind!" he truly didn't. they should get to spend time together!

by now they probably knew him well enough to know that he was offering because he truly didn't mind- because they didn't really argue any further.

the only creation was max leaving jane and running across the room to hug will.
"you're the best, byers," she said as she held him.

for a second he had the urge to ask her to join. to ask the two girls to take him with them, so they could talk- so they could help him figure out everything. it really did seem necessary- but he couldn't bring himself to ruin their night. they deserved time to themselves.

"it's nothing. and the movie really is very good!" he said as she let go, and max burst into a big smile.

"it has 1700's lesbians, how can it not be?" she said, and as everyone laughed she walked back to jane.

"see you tomorrow, will!" jane said, and they started outisde max hugging her waist again.
"just so you know, the movie is in french and and before you say anything that doesn't mean it's not good-" she added, speaking quieter to max, and as the door closed behind them will could hear max groan loudly.

he laughed slightly to himself. they were so perfect for each other it was actually unreal. 

then, he turned back to his plates- but before two seconds passed the sound of the door opening again sounded.

he knew who it was before he even turned.

▪ ▪ ▪ 

tyler made his way to will, his sweet smile on his face as he waved slightly.
"hey, you," he said as he neared will- and will struggled to put on a convinving smile as his stomach danced with that same weird fear. 

"h-hi," he stammered, his voice weirdly high. tyler didn't seem to notice, reaching will and kissing his cheek.

"how was your day? ready to go?" he asked, letting his hand flutter across will's face as he spoke.
" it was okay, and not yet," will replied. his voice came out almost normal this time.

"no problem,  i'll help you!" tyler said with his usual cheery tone. he reached towards another towel, but will exclaimed before he had a chance: "no!"

tyler turned towards him with confusion, and will had to think quickly about his next step. he just really didn't want tyler there right now, he wanted some time alone- but the problem was, there was that small voice in his head telling him that he couldn't say that to tyler. not if he wanted to stay safe.

that's ridiculous! he reminded himself, it's just tyler! he's your boyfriend, he'll understand.

and so, against his better judgment, will started again:
"i just mean... i can do this alone, you can just meet me at the house in about twenty minutes. okay?"

for a second tyler didn't respond, his smile gone, and will was genuinely scared- but then he nodded, another tiny smile pulling on his lips.

"yeah, of course! just come as fast as you can. you sure you don't want me to wait with you? i don't mind!"

"no, really, it's okay!" will exclaimed, relief so heavy in his chest he almost cried. he was right- it was just tyler. he had just been paranoid, nothing was wrong. everything was okay, tyler just wanted the best for him. it was all okay.

tyler shrugged. "okay, if you're sure." 
he pulled will's face into a kiss and will leaned into it with more ease than he would've thought possible at the beginning of the day. he was just tyler.

"just come straight to the wheelers'- no pit stops. i'll be waiting. see you soon!" tyler said once the kiss was over, and as will smiled and nodded he headed outside.

once he heard the door close will could finally let out the sigh of relief he had been holding. everything was okay, everything was okay. he had just been anxious!

his heart was light and happy as he started wiping the plates again. he had the perfect boyfriend after all. the anxiety still nibbling at his organs was just his overthinking, and it was already easing. everything was okay.

and then the door opened again.

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

𝐣𝐮𝐥𝐲 𝟐𝟖𝐭𝐡. 𝟏𝟏𝟐𝟒  𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬.

𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫 𝐬𝐚𝐲𝐬: I'm so obsessed with the Hamilton film it's not even funny aHa