t h i r t y - o n e

▪ ▪ ▪

his awakening was just as peaceful as his dozing off had been. 

one second he was asleep and the next he wasn't anymore, stuck in that magical state of consciousness where the real world is just starting to come into focus, but the last remains of dreams keep you from seeing how horrible it is. when all you feel is kind of happy, not quite real yet.

he was comfortable and cozy and honestly didn't see a reason to get up. not when he could stay snuggled in the bed, the world coming slowly into focus as he stared at the pulp fiction poster on the wall.

 only, he didn't have a pulp fiction poster on his wall.

the realization shot him out of his magical state faster than a bullet being shot out of a gun, and suddenly everything was painfully clear. the sun was much harsher than he had realized, the light causing his already aching eyes to tingle even more. he still felt comfortable, but he was starting to feel his throbbing body- and he was also starting to get a pretty good idea where he was, and if he was right it was very embarrassing.

he closed his eyes for a second more, almost willing his reality to change into a less painful and embarrassing one, but when he opened them again it was just the same.

he took a deep breath and slowly raised himself up to a sitting position, the dark covers that had been covering him slipping off like a weird, black, 100% cotton waterfall.

just as he had thought, the room wasn't his. it was mike's, with the posters and the tv and, well, mike.
he was sitting on the floor, using the perfectly functional armchair as a leg rest and watching something on his phone, the faint sounds of yelling echoing through his headphones. or at least he had been watching because the minute he saw will rising he let the phone tumble to the floor, removing the earphones.

"good afternoon," he said with a slight smile.

afternoon?! "oh god, did i sleep through the entire morning?" will asked sheepishly, his voice weirdly scruffy. he couldn't seem to shake the sleep out of it- how did he sleep through the entire morning? he did feel more well-rested, way more well-rested, but still-

"yup. and then the evening, and then the night, and then the morning again. i was starting to think you slipped into a coma."

"i slept through the whole day??" will gasped.

"about 28 hours, yeah," mike replied, not looking phased. he picked up his phone, pressed a few buttons then put it down again- this time stopping the faint sounds.

it kind of made sense, it would explain why his head hurt so much it almost felt like he was hungover once again, but at the same felt better than he had in months. he didn't know what to say, how to apologize for last night and for taking over his bed and-

mike moved before he could figure it out, getting his legs off the chair and jumping up at once, moving to sit by will on the bed. his sudden movement startled will but he didn't really have time to react because now mike was putting his hand to his cheek and will felt so warm he was sure he was bright red. was he going tp-

"the swelling looks much better," mike muttered softly and will wanted to kick himself. of course, he wasn't just going to kiss him out of nowhere! especially after last night...