t w e n t y - s i x

▪ ▪ ▪ 

so he ran.

he ran, not caring when his bare feet slapped across the concrete so hard, he could practically feel the bruises forming. he ran on the beach, not caring when his steps sent clouds of sand and dust into the air, probably getting it all over himself.

and for a moment, he actually felt happy. no, maybe happy wasn't the right word. it wasn't joy he was feeling but... hopefulness.  his new-found determination and the chilly night air alone were enough to get him to sprint, enough to get him that shred of hopefulness that was almost enough to raise a smile to his lips. he could do it.

except.. where was he going?

he skitted to a stop almost at once, his toes curling into themselves painfully from the force of his sudden halt.

the determination was great and all, but he really didn't know where he could go. when his mom had gone through the more technical parts of everything he was just a child. all he knew is that one day his dad was there... and the next he wasn't. 

where does he go? the police? that made sense, but... he had no idea where the police station even was. he had no idea where anything was in this town, and like the idiot he was. he didn't even bring his phone.

it was like someone took all the air out his sails, seemingly making all that hope dissolve with the sand. the determination, the urge to smile, all of it faded into no more than an empty feeling inside his stomach. so empty, even his legs seemed to grow weak. all that energy faded, and he just wanted to drop to the sand, he wanted to go back home and slip inside the covers of his bed. it suddenly all felt like a very, very dumb idea.

but even though he was almost convinced going back was the best decision, he couldn't let go of that hope completely. giving up would mean he was admitting that he was nothing like his mom, that he was nothing more than a weak idiot. 

and he couldn't be. he couldn't face more days of that empty feeling in his gut, he couldn't face tyler again, not when he had actually felt like there was a chance to get away. when he had actually felt that hope

he would go to the restaurant. yes, the restaurant! he could wait in the restaurant, he would wait all night if he needed to, and then max and jane would be there. max and jane, who could help him- or at the very least point him towards the police station.

and maybe that wasn't enough to get that full-blown enthusiasm back, but it was enough for him to start running again, slower this time, slower but steadier, towards the restaurant. 

max and jane will now what to do.

▪ ▪ ▪ 

by the time he got to the restaurant, his mind was already spiraling, trying to figure out where he could wait for the next few hours. it couldn't be somewhere to open- he was still scared tyler would find him. maybe it was a dumb fear, but he couldn't deny that he was scared. like, really scared. he could envision it all too well, sitting on the sand when the sound of tyler's steps would sound, how before he would even have time to respond those warm hands would be on him-

no. he couldn't wait out in the open, like a lamb to the slaughter. but it's not like he had anywhere to hide on a freaking beach.

he couldn't very well break into the restaurant either. couldn't he? the fear of being discovered was so overwhelming, he had half a mind to take the brick used to prop the door open and bust the glass door open. 

a stupid idea, but an idea his frantic, sleep-deprived mind was heavily considering. 

his feet carried him to the door before he could really decide if he could do it. he was so wrapped up in the ludicrous plan- if you could even call it that- he almost didn't notice that the inside of the restaurant was completely lit.

he almost didn't notice the two girls sitting on the bar, brown-hair mixing with red as they put their heads close together, talking in distraught voices.

"... are you sure we just didn't notice them?" max asked, but jane shook her head.
"max, it was closed for a private party. i highly doubt tyler green was a part of leonard benowitz's bar mitzva."

they were talking about tyler? will was so surprised he forgot his want to enter the resturant, and instead just leaned against the wall, listening intently. had they- had they gone to the pairs theater? were they looking for him?

max sighed, finally leaning back a little, her face finally visible to will. it was just as distraught as her voice, blue eyes stormy with worry.

"you're right, you're right. and didn't he tell you they were seeing some sheep movie?"

"silence of the lambs-"

"yeah, that. the theater was playing singin' in the rain- they definitely weren't there."

"i think-" jane started again, "max, i think something bad is happening there. did you see will's face today? he seemed mortified. i didn't want to like, intrude, but tyler was lying about their whereabouts and with everything else it's just..." she trailed off. she put both her hands together,  cracking her knuckles in that nervous way she had.

max sighed deeply, running her hands through her hair. "yeah. i think we need to do something, janie."

and for a second the two girls were silent and will didn't know whether to smile or cry. they noticed. they wanted to help, they noticed something was wrong-

his already racing mind was overwhelmed with love towards the two girls. with relief, relief so strong he couldn't help a tear slipping down his cheek. they would help him, they wanted to help him!

and before he could think about it any more, he pushed the door open.

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

𝐬𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕𝐭𝐡. 𝟏𝟏𝟓𝟕 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬.

𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫 𝐬𝐚𝐲𝐬: hi it's me I'm not dead:))

so sorry for not posting for so long... here's an explanation, feel free to skip:
so basically I have severe anxiety and have been under a LOT of stress with school starting again, work, my red-cross training and aHh also my brain decided why not be confused about my sexuality again so that's fun. I want to bring you guys the best content I can, and also if I rush to fit with the schedule I made my head might explode. 

So basically I'll still be posting once a week almost for sure (hopefully more) but be patient with me because I really am trying:))

hope you enjoyed this part!!