t w e n t y - n i n e

▪ ▪ ▪

four minutes.

will was four minutes away from the house.

he knew exactly where he was, he had walked this road countless times: google maps would tell you it was seven minutes away from the house but will knew better than google maps. unlike google maps, he knew that if he took the little stone pathway behind the blue house, he would get there in no more than four.

mike had showed him that shortcut.

he was so close it was almost funny- because if they had just left five minutes earlier, will would be home by now. he would be home, and this night would be over. it was almost funny because this night turning tragic could've been avoided in five minutes.

just five minutes would've changed absolutely everything. and really, wasn't that sort of amusing?

only it wasn't. nothing could be amusing, not when he was so damn scared.

▪ ▪ ▪

it was as if at once, the tired fog lifted from will's brain. that sluggishness that had enveloped every fiber, every muscle in his body cleared away completely, making way for the adrenaline. the adrenaline that made him alert, made everything in front of him seem completely clear. completely in focus.

he could see the nervous twitch in tyler's eye. he was convinced he could actually see his jaw tightening, the slight creaking of his perfect teeth as they were forced together suddenly.

tyler's shoulders were trembling with that absolutely terrifying anger. the trembles were slight, but to will they seemed as violent as a ship rocking on horrid waters. they went down his body, and will's gaze followed them almost involuntarily. followed them to his right hand. he saw his fingers- his knuckles still purple-and-blue from his stint at will just a few hours ago- God, could it really have happened just a few hours ago- fluttering, closing around themselves to form a fist.

we're matching, a crazy thought appeared in will's head. and they were: the bruising on tyler's knuckles was identical to the one blemishing will's otherwise-fair skin. like some sort of twisted corsage, the prom date from hell. 

 just like the stain around will's eye, his bruising was frightening... but in a different way.

such a different way.

he heard the air escaping from those pursed lips, and there was no choice but to look up once again. at his beautiful, daunting face. at his gorgeous, appalling green eyes. the eyes that just a week ago seemed to be completely full of good, of compassion. at the face he had truly believed he could learn to love.

the face he had grown to fear. to despise.

"will..." the word tight, barely slipping through his knit lips. a single word, that was enough to show will just how terrible everything was about to become.

and he almost broke down. he almost dropped to his knees, and burst into tears, and begged the boy in front of him to spare him any further pain. to promise he would be good, that he would stay. As ridiculous, as dramatic as this option may seem it would be the easiest one. the one with the least pain tied to it- only it wasn't really an option at all: because he had gone to the police. he had told max and jane, and therefore there was no way to go back again. no way to spare himself the pain, and from the look on tyler's face, it was clear he knew that their secret had been spilled. that will had told.

and before he could really figure out what he would do now, tyler took a step forward.

"stop," will said, the words leaving his mouth without consulting his brain first, "just, please, tyler, stop."

but of course, he took another step.  will knew that his next step would reveal his weird, strangely warm, and comfortable smell. the smell of cinnamon, that earthly sweet scent from the bookstore. the next step would put will within reaching distance.

within punching distance.

"you didn't. tell me you didn't." tyler said, his voice full of those same angry trembles will still saw shaking his body.

"stop. please stop it," will said again- and was surprised at how level, how calm his voice sounded, because inside he was shaking with fear.

"you know i'd never hurt you. you know that. i was just coming to apologize, and you-"he was angry and getting angrier by the second, but at least he hadn't taken that step.

"you did hurt me, you hurt me so goddamn much, but if you just stop now nothing else will happen. just let me go home, and everything will be okay, okay?" his voice was still calm, soothing. once again, not his own- but this time in a good way.

"i'm your boyfriend, will. i'm your boyfriend and i'd never-"he started again but will shook his head.

"you're not my boyfriend.you stopped being my boyfriend a long time ago." probably not the wise thing to say, because as he talked tyler's face turned red with pure fury- but he had to. he couldn't stand having this monster stand here saying he was his boyfriend. his stomach was turning just hearing him say it, just having that word tie him to this horrible person. turning a word that was so beautiful, a word that was supposed to describe someone special, into the worst word he could think of. making him want to hurl.

"don't be fucking ridiculous-" tyler said, his words turning into that weird hissing sound again, and finally he took that step and will knew the punch was coming before he felt it, but now he also knew exactly what he had to do.

the knuckles pressed into his cheek, the one he had already damaged this morning- and maybe it was that, or the fact that he had known it was coming, or the adrenaline still pumping in his veins- but the punch didn't even hurt. it didn't make him stumble, and a second later he was the one darting forwards.

tyler's face started to twist with surprise but will didn't wait for the expression to settle: with a swift motion, he lifted his leg and kneed tyler straight in the crotch.

he didn't wait for the realization that he had actually done it to settle: he didn't wait to see tyler's surprised expression morph into one of pain, to see his knees practically buckling.

because now he was running past the blue house, past tyler, running faster then he had ever run in his entire life, nothing in his head but fear.

four minutes to the house, but he would make it in two.

and when he got to the huge house belonging to his hosts, tyler wasn't behind him yet. and when he stepped inside the door, inside the house, everything was like it always was.

his bare feet hitting the flooring lightly, letting him avoid the creaking. letting him creep up the stairs in a state close to silence. like a ghost, invisible and hushed- but this time, instead of skipping past the doors until he got to the very last one, will stopped at the very first door in the hall.

and he didn't know why he was doing it, but at what couldn't be earlier than five-thirty am, will knocked on the door.

mike's door.

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

𝐨𝐜𝐨𝐭𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟔𝐭𝐡. 𝟏𝟐𝟖𝟑 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬.

𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫 𝐬𝐚𝐲𝐬: Okay but for once I'm actually super happy with this chapter AHH.

also, next chapter things are- umm- changing ;)) we're pretty close to the end, so thank you all for sticking it out!!!