e i g h t

▪ ▪ ▪ 

turns out, the anchor really was a popular place.

the previous day, even though will felt like he had worked at least as much as the queen of england's personal servent, the restaurant had stayed relatively empty- or at least empty enough to make will doubt the need for three full-time servers.

but turns out the big rush came on fridays. 

will had made it back just minutes before the opening at 9:30, thinking he had time to maybe talk to max and jane a little about mike- but he didn't even have time to fully dry off before the crowds hit. he ran around for hours without break, struggling to remember who ordered the fish & chips and who wanted the vanilla ice cream with sprinkles, all the while praying silently that he wouldn't have a signature fall and break something.

which, surprisingly, he hadn't- and it was already past 1. the crowds were just dying down, and finally will could take a breather and get the glass of water he had been fantasizing about for hours.

he glanced around again to make sure max could manage on her own and then quickly stepped to the server's room.

jane was there, reading a book on one of the couched, looking completely at peace. so that's where she had gone! she smiled at him, putting a bookmark in and putting the book face-down on the couch.

"how's the second day going?" she asked as he stepped to the small fridge in the corner, taking out a bottle of water.

"good- just really exhausting," he responded and proceeded to pour some of the water into a glass. as he drank, jane spoke:

"wait, you hadn't had your break yet! oh god, you've been working non-stop from the morning!" she called, suddenly looking really alarmed. will, failing to see the problem, shrugged.

"yeah," he said, setting the now empty cup down, "shift's over in like, an hour anyways. it's not that bad."

"no, you gotta take your break! have you even had anything to eat yet?" she asked and will thought about it for a second before shaking his head. he wasn't even that hungry, but was surprised he hadn't even thought about food after serving so much of it. 

and it really did look really good...

"go, find yourself a table! i'll get you something to eat, just get off your feet!" jane urged, she got up, fixing her shirt.

"no, jane, i can manage, please don't cut your break short because of me!" he tried protesting, but jane shook her head.

"don't be ridiculous. it's over anyway," she responded.

will didn't really believe her, but decided maybe sitting down a little might be a good idea. the early wake mixed with hours in the sun and the lack of food was starting to get him a little light-headed.

"thanks," he smiled, and headed out the room.

he navigated in between the crowds of people, managing to find a nice table in the outside sitting area, next to the entrance. he sat in one of the wooden chairs, a sigh slipping from his lips- like an old person.

he laid his head back on the chair, closing his eyes as the sun washed over his face. it was nice, the warmth of the sun undoubtedly burning his face. the chatter of the people sitting around him, kids laughing and screaming, adults chasing after them, the waves crashing on the sand, seagulls calling out- he could hear it all. it filled his head, but instead of bothering him the sounds were almost... comforting. numbing.