s i x

▪ ▪ ▪ 

"will, hey!"

jane's voice called, and will turned from the floor he was sweeping to face her. the brown-haired girl had just walked in, looking as cheery as ever- with her girlfriend's hand fastened around her waist. she smiled at him, waving.

"what are you doing here so early?" she asked as they neared him, and will tried not to blush. talking about mike hardly seemed appropriate...

"i woke up early so i was just preparing for opening," he said instead, switching his eyes back to the pile of rubbish he was collecting. better they didn't see his eyes, "like you showed me yesterday." 

"yeah, but- woah. you didn't have to do that, it's only your second day!" jane responded, and max's eyes were scanning the room.

"you did everything, didn't you?" max interjected.

"no?" will tried, though he had, in fact, done everything. threw out the garbage, refilled the drinks, cleaned the tables, distributed napkins... sweeping was the only thing left.

working just made him feel useful. when he worked, he was actually doing something to make his money- and like he had promised himself before he had come there, he would be the best server "the anchor" has ever seen. he would be perfect.

"he did! i can't," max laughed and then turned to him, "it took me about three weeks to learn how to open properly. can you stay forever, please?"

will laughed a little, the red rising in his cheeks unavoidable this time. he hated that blushing was his body's automatic response every time multiple pairs of eyes were on his for more than two seconds, but he couldn't help it. 

but jane persisted, not laughing along, "seriously, will. you're just starting out, no need to work this hard! have you even been to the beach yet?"

"umm, we were all there yesterday?" will said again, turning redder and redder. why couldn't they change topics already? 

"does not count." jane decided. she freed herself from max's arms, grabbing the broom from will's hands.

"we'll finish up here. just go to the beach! have some fun!" 

will tried holding on to the broom, mumbling protests. it's not that he didn't want to go to the beach, it's just that he didn't want to run into him on the beach.

or maybe he did.

he honestly didn't know.

"jane's right. this is the perfect time to be at the beach! all the surfers are just leaving and trust, you want to get a peek at them." max said. will was sure that if he turned any redder he'd be a literal tomato.

"are you sure you're gay? i really don't get you,"  jane sighed, and max shrugged.

"surfers can be girls too. and besides, you can't tell me i'm wrong-" max winked at will.
jane sighed but said nothing.

"anyways, go! have fun! swim! ogle some surfers!" max added, grabbing will's hand and leading him towards the door. will gave up on arguing,  laughing a little as the door closed behind him.