t e n

▪ ▪ ▪ 

it was funny how quickly the next two weeks passed.

working in the restaurant made his mornings fly surprisingly quick- and not in a bad way: when it wasn't too busy he got to hang out with jane and max, and they really were the best people he had ever met. 

he always had the most fun hanging out with them, even if it was just singing obnoxiously loud to stupid music as they cleaned the restaurant or washed dishes.tuesdays, fridays, and every other wednesday he stayed in the restaurant until night, working afternoon shifts. 

even those weren't too bad, just exhausting- but the days he got afternoons free were the best.

it seemed like there was always something to do. sketch the view from his room, go for a swim, try (and fail miserably) to surf on one of the many surfboards the wheeler family owned, go for a walk on the rock trail with mike.

yeah, mike wheeler. 

ever since that day at town,  will and mike had been spending more and more time together.mostly walks on the beach and to the breakwater.

 sometimes they would go for ice cream in the town, sometimes they would just read silently on the beach together. it didn't matter- as long as they got to spend time together.

it wasn't every day, but it wasn't far from that either- not that he would tell jane and max that.

their hangouts were weirdly secretive: it wasn't that they had decided to keep their meetings a secret, it was like a weird given. mike never met will at the restaurant, and whenever will saw mike walking with the boy with the bandana (who he now knew was named lucas sinclair) he didn't say hi.

he didn't know why they did that- it wasn't like they were dating or anything.
theoretically, he could tell jane and max- because they were just friends.

but theoretically, his heart also shouldn't have started fluttering every time he saw mike.

theoretically, he shouldn't have wanted to spend every waking hour with him.

it wasn't that he liked him, not at all! he was there for work. not guys. it made sense that he wanted to kiss him a little, because mike was really very good looking. 

it didn't mean he had any feelings for him, it just meant that he was gay.

but woah, he really was good looking. 

will glanced at the black-haired boy walking next to him, and couldn't deny that in his own way mike could very well be the best looking guy in town. those dark curls and black eyes made him just... different from the guys in town. he stood out, he had to stand out in between all these blonde-haired blue-eyes surfers. 

but he embraced that: he knew everyone had to look at him. he drew even more attention, wearing bizarre shirts like that flower-y one, shirts so colorful they stood in a weird contrast to the rest of his look. 

he looked like an asshole. he looked exactly like what jane and max said he was- but will didn't see it, not anymore. ever since he had been an hour late mike showed up to their meetings exactly on the minute, religiously. he never said anything bad, not since that first night- he was just super sweet. a hidden nerd, an asshole looking guy who actually wrote poems and read marvel comics and could recite the entire beginning to the hobbit.