n i n e t e e n

▪ ▪ ▪ 

so they kept dating.

and it really was great- really, really great, in fact.

tyler was everything will could ever want in a boyfriend: because that's what they were now. boyfriends. a couple. he, the gay-good-for-nothing will byers from Indiana, had an actual boyfriend. even thinking that word seemed strange- strange, yet amazing.

he had a boyfriend to walk hand-in-hand with around town, because tyler never seemed to want to let his hand go. he never seemed to want to let will go: everywhere they walked tyler would hold will's hand, or wrap his arms around will's waist. like he actually wanted people to know that he was will.

like he was proud.

will wasn't used to that- not at all, but it was kind of amazing. he liked having tyler next to him, he loved knowing that someone wanted to be this close to him. 

and tyler really did seem to want to be near will. every morning when he got up for work, there was tyler- waiting in the door, holding a cup full of hot chocolate and a small book, ready to walk will to the resturant. every single morning he would have tyler's hand around him as he walked, the brown haired boy pulling him into a long, fierce kiss before they said goodbye.  his room was practically overflowing with books by now, way more than he could read in a summer.

he barely even got to read anymore, because every day when his shift was over tyler was waiting by the door, ready to take him out to town or hang out in will's room- sometimes will would accompany tyler in his shift in the bookstore. tyler would stay with him until it was sleep time, and meet him the moment he woke up.

maybe he hadn't thought a boyfriend would take up quite this much of his time. tyler, work. tyler, work- that was his entire day.

not that it was bad, it was just... he missed max and jane. but everytime he tried to bring it up with tyler the boy would look so heartbroken he would drop it immediately. after all, he had a boyfriend, a sweet, kind boyfriend who wanted to spend time with him more than anything. so he should be flattered, happy... and he was. yes, he was.

the problem was, the problem remained, the tall boy with that wonderful smirk and dark eyes, the boy that lived just two rooms away from will... but somehow, even living with mike, he didn't get to see mike almost at all. he stopped trying to talk to will. he stayed away, and the only times the two boys would see each other were the rare occasions will happened to cross the hallway as mike was exiting his room.

and they wouldn't talk. they would just stare at each other, and it always seemed like mike wanted to say something, and will wanted him to, he wanted to hear his voice... but then mike would just smile this weird, unnatural smile and leave the other way.

and there was no denying it: even with tyler, even though he liked tyler a lot and he really did want to spend time with him and he was happy, even though it had been a full two weeks since he had spoken a word to mike, his heart would ache with the memory of something deep every time those dark eyes looked his way.

▪ ▪ ▪

that morning he woke up at 6:30 am for no reason whatsoever. 

he hadn't slept for very long- tyler had dropped him off at home a little past midnight. he had an hour and a half before he had to wake up, and a full two hours before tyler would meet him.