e l e v e n

▪ ▪ ▪ 

luckily, will ended up making it on time. he was even a few minutes early.

the line at the postal office was very short- suspiciously so. there were tons of people waiting but somehow will and mike's turn came after no more than 5 minutes. will suspected mike's status had something to do with that- but didn't have enough proof and bringing it up seemed idiotic.

so, with a promise of his fixed phone getting there in 7-10 business days, will said goodbye to mike and went into the restaurant. 

he changed into his uniform, mind racing all the while: was there something going on with him and mike? could there be?

it made sense: the endless meetings, the constant flirting... he had just kind of ignored it. he figured that's just how mike was. but did he- was there a chance that-

well, could mike have actually meant something?

maybe he did. and maybe will knew that he did. maybe he had played along with it because he wanted something to happen? 

he couldn't deny it any longer. he knew that what they were doing wasn't just casual friends stuff. he had known along, of course he had! normal friends don't just walk around town holding hands. normal friends don't buy each other super expensive books for no reason.

and the fact that he had known, even though he had refused to admit it to himself, just made him uneasy. did he want something to happen? did he actually like mike, even with the warnings, even though he had only known him for weeks?

ugh. this is exactly why he wanted to focus on work this summer. all this thinking, all this does he like me-do i like him- do i want him- thing was too exhausting and it just wasn't why he had come there. it was a distraction, a distraction from the nearing promise of his dream college.

but, what if it didn't have to be? what if it was something good, having someone to back him up and support him through everything? he was 17, it was normal to want a relationship for the first time of his life... what if dating mike would do him good?

throughout his entire shift, his mind didn't leave the topic- changing his opinion every four seconds approximately- but by the time the shift was over he maybe- sort of- came to a decision.

because he couldn't deny it any longer: he liked mike. not asshole mike, but the sweet nerd he had gotten to know. he like mike, and he wanted something to happen. something more than whatever was happening.

he really, really did.

▪ ▪ ▪ 

"so, what are you up to tonight?" max asked, pulling him out of his thoughts. she was sitting on the counter, moving a towel around it slightly (as if she was helping to clean) while jane washed the  floor, and will was stacking up chairs. it was just something she did.

"umm-" will started, but before he could answer max spoke again.

"because we were thinking we could take you out! it's been weeks and we still haven't taken you into town... what do you say?"