o n e

▪ ▪ ▪

the minute will stepped off the train, his bag ripped.

because of course it would: why would anything go right when he really wanted it to? the brown jan-sport had been his trusty sidekick since grade school, holding heavy books and notebooks for years on end- 

actually, now that he thought about it maybe the strap ripping was kinda' overdue. 

but why now? why here?

will dropped to his knees, pushing his cinnamon hair out of his face as he collected his scattered belongings. he could feel people staring at him, and couldn't help his face turning bright red. he grabbed the once-nicely folded clothes and stuffed them into the bag as quickly as possible, wanting to get out of there as fast as he could- and besides, the floor of the train station was sorta' disgusting and he really didn't want his clothes on it for too long.

he picked up his phone, that had tumbled to the ground with everything else.

please don't be broken please don't be broken please don't be broken he prayed silently as he flipped it over: and sure enough the screen was completely shattered.

he made one attempt to turn the phone on, but honestly wasn't surprised when it didn't respond. because again, why would anything go his way?

not like it was a huge loss, just an old iPhone 4: not like he had anything important on it either, the only thing he cared about was his downloaded music, and that was on his MP3 anyways. the only reason he cared at all was that his overprotective mom would go insane if he didn't text her...

and also, fixing it would be a burden- the whole point of this summer was to make money, not waste it.

"you need some help, kid?" a suit-wearing man asked from above him, looking at him with sympathy diluted with entertainment. 

"n-no, I got it- thanks," will exclaimed, stuffing the broken phone into his pocket, grabbing his bag and jumping back to his feet. He patted the knees of his jeans, trying to get the dirt off of them.

"If you're sure," the man shrugged, and just started to head out when will stopped him.

"actually,  do you maybe know which bus i need to take to get to the- umm, the anchor? it's this restaurant on the beach-"

"yeah, i know the anchor. line 5 should drop you off right next to there." the man said again, and will nodded.

"thank you!" he responded, and the man nodded back as he joined the people heading out the station.

 will grabbed his torn bag with both his hands and started after them too, trying to keep everything inside it.  he sighed slightly. 

five minutes in the town where he was going to spend his entire summer, and he had already managed to break something and completely embarrass himself. 

great job, will!

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

at least he didn't ruin into any more trouble getting there. the man had been right, as the number 5 stopped at a small station on top of a hill, just across from the beach.