t w e n t y- o n e

▪ ▪ ▪ 

and his heart stopped for a second.

what could he be doing back here? why would tyler come back? his mind spiraled as he cluched the plate in his hands so tight he could practically feel it cracking. he didn't turn, he couldn't bring himself to turn around and face him again, see him again. he heard the footsteps echoing across the floor, nearing and nearing and seeming so loud his ears hurt.

all his relief, the returning feeling of safety evaporated into thin air. he didn't know why he felt quite this unsafe, he really didn't. he didn't know  why just the thought of seeing that fake smile again made his stomach turn, he didn't know why he wanted to run. but he did. 

but he couldn't run. he couldn't even turn to see him, for fuck's sake! he could do nothing but hold the slightly-wet plate in his hands and try to keep his breath even.

"hey."

his heart returned beating almost at once, his shoulders slumping once again. every muscle in his body, muscles he didn't even know had been clenched tightly, let loose promptly. 

because the voice, that low, wonderful voice - it wasn't tyler's.

he turned around, a smile already forming on his lips- because that voice, the tall boy standing in front of him- it wasn't tyler. wasn't tyler at all.

it was mike. curly haired, ironic-shirt wearing mike was standing right next to him, those dark eyes intent on him with this weird nervousness... and he has spoken the first words he had heard from him in two whole weeks.
"hi," will breathed, unable to contain the smile. he knew he had been mad at mike, he knew he probably still was, but at the moment all he was was happy. relieved, and happy. because he really had missed him, missed him a lot. more than he could admit to himself.

mike seemed surprised by the smile, but hurried to return it. his smile was wonderfully authentic, even though it held this weird carefulness will couldn't place, it was authentic. will didn't know why that authenticity made him feel so relieved, so safe, but it just did.

in this one second with mike, with that two words exchange, will felt more safe than he had with tyler in... a long time. 

and that knowledge made him feel both guilty and confused. 
because tyler hadn't done anything to deserve this feeling from will, because mike had been the one to be an asshole. tyler had done nothing but be amazingly sweet to him- but he couldn't help his feelings. he couldn't help being happy to see mike.

"so, um- do you mind if we talk for a second?" mike asked after another second of silence. his voice held the same carefulness as his smile.

"yeah, sure," will said. he wondered if he should be passive-aggressive, maintain that anger he had felt towards mike- but that day on the beach seemed so long gone he couldn't even remember being mad at mike. he had missed him too much to be mad at him.

mike's shoulders slumped with relief, identical to the one will had felt one he saw him come in. woah, had he thought that will wouldn't even let him talk? had be been that mean?

"great! i just wanted to, well, to explain that day." will opened his mouth to protest, but mike continued speaking quickly.
"p-please, just let me. i really need to."and there must have been was something in mike's eyes- because will couldn't refuse. he put down the plate (that was luckily un-cracked), and started towards the waiters' room, mike right behind him.