n i n e

▪ ▪ ▪

"you guys can go ahead. i'll close up." 

maybe he had jumped the gun a little bit. the last costumer had only just left, max had barely had time to close the restaurant door before will had uttered the words. he had said them so decisively, both jane and max turned towards him.

"no, no! that makes zero sense dud," max said, "you did more work then the both of us combined, and it's still your second day. go home!" 

"no!" will insisted, and maybe his voice was a bit too loud. he just had to get them out of there, or they'd see mike coming to pick him up...

"what do you mean, no? don't you want to go home?" jane asked, looking at him sideways, "i bet you're dying to get off your feet."

will couldn't deny that he was, but he had plans- and he knew if the two girls saw mike they'd just tell will how bad he is again. and maybe if they said it again he'd be persuaded... and he honestly didn't want to be. he wanted to give mike a chance because they would live in the same house for two months and having mike as a friend would just be much better. 

"i just, umm," his mind struggled to find an excuse that would justify his strange behavior, " i want to make sure that i can do it. you know, in case i'll need to one day."

"okay..." jane said slowly, "so we'll stay and teach you."

fuck!

"no, go! i want to make sure i can do it by myself." 

his excuse sounded weak, even to him. both jane and max turned to each other, exchanging a weird look. will could practically see the wheels turning in their head, trying to find an excuse for his behavior. what kind of 17-year-old would want to work more on his summer break?

"guys, i promise i know how to do this. you showed me how to lock yesterday, and i'm kind of the master of cleaning. it'll take me no more than 20 minutes."

that part was actually true. will was really good at cleaning, he had plenty of practice. before the divorce, he spent every day after school making sure the house was squeaky clean: because even a speck of dust on one of the windows would make his dad mad, and when his dad was mad-

point being, he knew how to clean, and clean well.

"i mean, if he's sure... we could have date night," max started, looking at jane with a glint in her eyes. will felt his heart starting to drop with relief.

"no! he shouldn't have to do all the work!" jane insisted, but before will could argue max spoke again.

"babe, he's literally asking to. if we go home early we can bake something..." she tempted, and will saw jane starting to break.

"i mean-" she tried, but then sighed. she turned back to will, "but you've got to promise to let us open tomorrow. i feel bad!"

will almost let out a sigh of relief. "okay, i promise. now go! have fun!"

he was practically pushing them out the door, and they laughed slightly.
"okay, okay!" max said as they got to the door. she was about to leave when she turned to will again,